Engine compartment ventilation

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Guys : LONG AGO (1990?) I wrote a Mainsheet tech note article On "Crank Case Ventilation"

I took a Bedwiser can and cut the top off the can. The I cut a cylindrical piece of foam to fit inside the can with a center hole.  I took the CK breather hose and stuck it in the foam.
The foam captured all of the vaporous oil. Every year I'd clean out the can and wash the foam.  The put it back together.

End of the dripping crankcase oil and the smell!!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

I can't understand why owners do anything except what Westerbeke does and Kubota does!!!  BURN the crap in the cylinder -- But what do they know?   Don't "save" it and make it more difficult or maintenance intensive than it needs to be.

The B engines actually have a knockout on the intake manifold that accepts a pipe nipple for the crankcase breather hose.  It's not on our engines probably because Westerbeke didn't have them do it but it's there and the $8 Kubota p/n is 16241-05550. 
Easy peasy   
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain