Painting Lewmar port surrounds

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete G

I removed all of the interior plastic port surrounds from my boat. I just replaced all of the lenses (note: Catalina Direct said I would need 8, but the 2 in the aft cabin are different). I've been soaking them in bleach, but they're still chronic-smoker yellow. Any recommendations for rattle can spraying?  The google recommends Krylon fusion.
Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH

Ron Hill

Pete : I believe that in some of the early 1987 C34 production the factory used all Beckson ports and in some of the later 1987 production they shifted to 6 lewmar ports in the Vberth/main Salon with Beckson ports in the aft cabin.

You can try spraying them, but I've never had good luck with spraying paint on to plastic and having it stick - long term.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

They came from the factory in that ivory/tan color.  It closely resembles the interior gel coat color.  The white will stand out remarkably against the interior liner color.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Pete : There have been numerous posts on the site that say that Lewmar does not stock them anymore.

If you know anyone with a 3 D printer you might be able to have them make you a couple of new trim rings!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Pete G on July 21, 2023, 01:02:06 PM
I removed all of the interior plastic port surrounds from my boat. I just replaced all of the lenses (note: Catalina Direct said I would need 8, but the 2 in the aft cabin are different). I've been soaking them in bleach, but they're still chronic-smoker yellow. Any recommendations for rattle can spraying?  The google recommends Krylon fusion.

You'll need to treat the plastic for best adhesion. Light sand and flame flash them (get the hang of that on a SCRAP!! pc of plastic first — to bring it to just the point where you see the surface sheen change to dull). Once you get the method down it's a snap to do.  Use a plastic-binding first coat then a top coat to your desired color.  I found a rattle can (can't recall the brand) that perfectly matched my interior liner.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

dfloeter

We used the Krylon Fusion paint a few years ago and the plastic surrounds still look good.  Just my experience. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20