Engine rattle 1100 to1800 rpm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcatsailor

It started with a suspected cracked plate btw. bell housing and engine .mechanic was to look at it but I got impatient and two 2x4 together and two cut gallon jugs a come along and friend the engine was sideways in front of the sink.paint cracked not plate.pulled the bell house removed tranny .had rebuilt, pulled flywheel replaced main rear seal.pulled shaft ordered eastern flex coupling.Had the shaft cut down 1.5 " and the flex fold prop down 1\2" both blades ,would only go to2600rpm and smoke and eng. temp would rise. When all repaired parts came back,installed new motor mounts damper plate.everything went back together.test on my annual trip down the Hudson up to long Island Sound ,no vibration any rpm no smoke temp steady at160* at full throttle, 1990 m35 good for 30 more years. When bought the boat est. Eng hrs.were 1000 I have put 1400 +on it
Shaft and prop.work at proper propeller ,Newburgh ny east coast marine transmission Morgan nj.
Sail 1064 Tr wing keel 1990/

Ron Hill

OldCat: What is an "engine rattle"???  I suspect from you production year that you just might have a M25XP engine??  3 or 4 cylinders (3 or 4 injectors) ???

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

Ron... he says right in the post: 1990 m35
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

oldcatsailor

The damper plate was worn, and the transmission was not slipping but very worn. Injectors were replaced 2013 one was mis firing all four same cost at Kubota as one at westabeke
Thank you forum.Should have called it a damper plate and transmission rattle . 1990 sugar scoop.
Sail 1064 Tr wing keel 1990/