Mark II water heater hose replacement, length

Previous topic - Next topic

dfloeter

I hope I am not missing the info needed somewhere in the files but all reference to required hose length is from Mark I Boats.  The water heater hoses on my Mark II with the M35A wiggle aft under the injector lines around the back of the engine before diving down the two holes to port and heading toward the galley sole and beyond there to the heater.   Rough measuring/guessing with a tape shows at least a 14' run each way.  To avoid buying too much extra pricey hose has anyone done this mod with a memory of the length?

Weirdly, under previous ownership what I presume is the original black hose was partly replaced with the good green stripe hose with the joint being somewhere under the galley sole.   Because of this I will be pulling from the galley end in hopes of finding that joint.   That just makes the job more fun.

This all came to a head a few days ago when the coolant temp spiked and the bilge seemed to be full of antifreeze.   Thanks in advance.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Noah

I never trust second-hand measurements. Always measure for yourself. Boats and hose runs/routing can vary.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

dfloeter

Thanks Noah and you are right.   Our boats can vary quite a bit.  I'll just take a stab at it and hopefully end up with a bit extra. :D
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Ron Hill

Dietrich: You don't really need the expensive wire reinforced hose because you are not making any acute bends.  Some good Gates brand auto hot water heater hose should do the job.  They aren't under any real pressure to speak of - that's why you have to "Burp" that plumbing to get all the air out!!

Also I took some 3/4" pipe insulation and slid it over the water heater hose to protect it from any fiberglass chards that may be on the hull. I slid it on from the galley side!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

dfloeter

Thanks Ron.  My need to change those hoses is not a dire as previously thought but since they are of unknown age they are on my list.  The contents are under pressure which further reduces the need for wire reinforcement and will take your advice. 
Happy sailing. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

dfloeter

I am finally replacing the hoses and have run into a hitch.  Everyone who has written about replacing these hoses talks about a relatively easy push and pull to change the hoses.   I feel I must be missing some very obvious detail.  With both ends disconnected and the water heater end pulled down a bit near the under galley thru hulls and the other ends coming up vertically from the holes with the alternator removed, they don't move.  Pulling and pushing from either end gets me nowhere.   It's almost like the hoses are fastened in place but I know that is not likely nor is there anyplace to do so. 

Any ideas?  At least it is winter and I have until spring to get this done there is no rush. 

Another unrelated question: I have to raise the motor mounts due to a new gearbox having a greater offset that necessitated raising the engine ¾" or so.  I have made some nice mahogany blocks but wonder if I shouldn't be using a metal that won't compact under pressure and vibration.  The wood risers are varnished and ready to go but I can easily back up and getsome aluminum or steel cut to size.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20