First sail - wow!

Previous topic - Next topic

High Current

I think I'm in love.  Almost a full month after launch, the weather up in ME (and my schedule) finally cooperated enough to sail my C34 for the first time.  Now I understand why Catalinas are so popular!

As intimidated as I was, single-handing off the mooring and docking (to pick up my family) were a breeze.  I was even more impressed at how easily she glided along at 6 kt in a modest breeze, practically upright: I would have been happy to get 4 in my old Hunter 25.  Even in a light breeze she kept up 3 easily.  Meanwhile the accommodations were plenty roomy for my family of 4 and felt positively luxurious by my standards (HOT running water!?  I'm easily impressed :D).  The kids particularly loved the aft berth.

Many thanks to all of you on this forum - both for questions answered (a couple), old topics that addressed my questions/issues (many), and the tech wiki / manuals.  Getting to this point would've been so much harder without you.  I'm honored to be part of the community and will do my best to pay it forward.
Ben, #1050, 1990 Mk 1.5 std rig / keel

Ron Hill

High : Welcome into our group of C34 lovers!!  Glad that you gad a great sail!!   :D

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

I felt the same the first time out.  Especially how stiff the boat is.  My kids loved the aft berth too.  They used to climb out the hatch in the cockpit and down the fore hatch. 
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

waughoo

My kid (though pretty old to still be called a kid) still likes grab our ankles through the opening ports in the cockpit footwell from the aft berth.  Always makes me smile when it catches me off guard.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Phil Spicer

HC: I remember those days. The boys wanted the v berth and that lasted one night. when the morning sun said "it's time to get up they were done up front. They took over the aft cabin so they could sleep in.
(Lewmar retractable shades and screens now in overhead hatches.)  We usually had 4 boys on board on trips and still had plenty of room including bikes, fishing gear, soccer balls,etc. When we moved up from the C27 we told the boys they could now do overnights with buddies. Now they are passing in stories and memories of those trips...Make the good memories !
   Have a fantastic summer
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.