raw water intake filter

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kaplan

Sedona Sunset,#219 1986 with M25, came with and still has a basic in line Jabsco $30- raw water intake filter. Always works stopping seaweed or what ever before doing damage. The only draw back is that the hose has to be removed from the filter to winterize, as I put a hose in bucket to draw in fresh water and flush engine before adding antifreeze.  I was told that there is an intake filter that can be used to winterize with out having to remove any hoses. Does any one use this type of filter and if so, what is the name of it and where can it be bought.  All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Jim Hardesty

I plumbed in a T-fitting after the strainer.  A pipe plug is normally in the T, to winterize remove the plug screw in an adaptor and hose to a bucket to winterize from. All the parts from hardware store.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Jeff : I never had a problem with removing the hose for winterizing.  In fact I used to remove the hose and suck all the water out of the "drinks cooler" so I left fresh water in the RW pump and heat exchanger every time I left the boat. I average 100 overnights per season!! 

A few thoughts   :clap
Ron, Apache #788

Breakin Away

Maybe the MkII boats have a different strainer design and/or location, but I used to remove the hose from the seacock and stick it in a bucket of antifreeze.

In more recent years, I just remove the top from the strainer and put the antifreeze in there to suck it through the engine. I'll open a couple of gallon bottles ahead of time to have them ready to continuously pour.

Here's the one I have. I assume you can find a better price elsewhere. On my boat, it fits in the extremely limited space under the aft berth next to the stuffing box, so it's very low-profile:

https://www.westmarine.com/forespar-raw-water-strainer-180641.html

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

waughoo

You could look into this type (link below).  Taking the lid off and closing the seacock would allow you to fill the bowl and run the engine, but you would need to keep pouring as the engine was running to keep the bowl filled.  This type also adds "ease of clearing a plugged thru-hull" in that you can plumb it with a straight shot to the valve. 

All that said, I think a T in the plumbing might be the simplest modification for winterization.

https://www.vetusmarine.com/store/p/231-Strainer-Type-330-5/8.aspx
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jon W

The FTR330/16 Alex put a link to might be too big for the space you have. I installed the Vetus FTR140/16. The flow is the same as the FTR330/16, just a smaller version.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

waughoo

Thanks Jon.  I was looking for a link that showed form factor.  I did not consider size.  Thanks for posting model numbers and photos of your installation.  What you show is what I had in mind.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Guys : The Catalina strainer OEM hose is so easy to remove so why go to another strainer??  The wire reinforced hose is 5/8" and it fits on to a 1/2" nipple (double clamped).

Just open the clamps on the hose a turn and the hose comes off the smooth nipple.  Then I just stick a 1/2" nipple with a 2 ft?. section of 1/2" hose attached into a jug of anti freeze or a cooler with water from melted ice and start the engine.  In no time at all the jug (-45 F) is empty, shut off the engine and you're all set for winter.  Then I drain the HX empty and change the Zn so I'm all set for the next season!!

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Hi Ron, I'm fortunate in that I don't need to winterize each year. I decided to change strainers for quick and easy visual inspection of flow, debris, and access to clean the basket, unscrewing the cap allows straight thru access to the outside to clear an obstruction, and being moiunted to the bulkhead it doesn't put any side load on the seacock when removing the basket to wash it out.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

waughoo

Ron,

As Jon says in so many words, the vetus it is just plain better design.  I had my thruhull clog while exiting a VERY narrow bay.  I had already pulled up the anchor (by hand as I don't have a windlass), and had to re-deploy.  It took tools, and a bunch of time to pull the hose, remove the strainer and then jamb something through the thru-hull fitting.  After doing that in a relatively calm situation, I decided that I wanted something better where I could open the cap, jamb a pre cut section of 1/4" plumbing snake (that I have hanginging in the locker under the sink) to quickly clear the blockage and get back underway.  Sometimes there is value in a change from the original design.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jeff Kaplan

Thank you all for your replys. I had the aqualift muffler replaced this season and all hoses changed to 3/4" trident water hose, no steel insert. The vetus filter looks good but the idea of pouring water into it and then anti freeze looks very tiring, so looks like I will continue to remove the hose and put in winterizing hose into bucket of fresh water followed by anti freeze.  I have to say the engine is running like a top and pumping out water, 160* constant.

Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Jim Fitch

John W -

I have to ask what the hand pump is for under the head sink and what that bracket is that holds it?  I'm sure it's something ingenious but I can't figure it out.

Jim

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Fitch on June 14, 2023, 05:33:24 AM
John W -

I have to ask what the hand pump is for under the head sink and what that bracket is that holds it?  I'm sure it's something ingenious but I can't figure it out.

Jim

I think it's one of these... https://ca.binnacle.com/product_info.php?products_id=3232&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwyqWkBhBMEiwAp2yUFiSoSOv7exTjPezMHhxSDIKP_14lFQ6XrNSK_YckOC184NcaiQj8fxoCK6AQAvD_BwE

I have one as well, but no idea how to use it, or for what.
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

pbyrne

Quote from: Breakin Away on June 08, 2023, 03:42:22 PM
Maybe the MkII boats have a different strainer design and/or location, but I used to remove the hose from the seacock and stick it in a bucket of antifreeze.

In more recent years, I just remove the top from the strainer and put the antifreeze in there to suck it through the engine. I'll open a couple of gallon bottles ahead of time to have them ready to continuously pour.

Here's the one I have. I assume you can find a better price elsewhere. On my boat, it fits in the extremely limited space under the aft berth next to the stuffing box, so it's very low-profile:

https://www.westmarine.com/forespar-raw-water-strainer-180641.html

That's what I do too these days.  Removing the intake hose from the thru hull was a PITA, which is a good thing, but not when you need to do it twice a year.  I think the MKII's are different. I get the impression MKI's have the intake under the sink..but I don't really know. 

Other wise the intake filter works well.  Large basket, turn to close and open. The seal can be hard to break to open though, which I guess is a good thing!  I don't think you could go wrong with one of them.
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Jon W

Hi Jim, it's a Jabsco Little Pal Utility Hand Pump (PN 34060-0010). I use it to drain water that leaks from the stuffing box. Now instead of ripping up the aft cabin to dry up any water that leaks from the stuffing box, I pump the pump a few times into a bucket and all is dry.

It's held in place with two brackets mounted to the filter storage bracket I made and mounted under the head sink. I think I got the brackets at a hardware store. I can get better photo's of them if you're interested, just let me know.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca