halyard replacement pricing

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene Regan

Hello All,
  Can anyone tell me the "poop" on pricing for halyard replacements, need three made up and am hoping someone can help me through a recent experience .
  Called Catalina parts and they were supposed to get back to me but still waiting.

Thanks
Gene Regan
713 Freedom

gene regan

rxc

I bought a whole new set of running rigging last year from Sailnet.  Don't remember the prices, but they had a sale on the line at the time.  Watch for specials from Sailnet and WM.  Also bought a Samson splicing tool set for double braid, and did the eyes myself.  A nice way to spend a cold winter evening, and the eyes all seem to be done properly(!)

Ralph Caruso
s/v "On y va"  C34#777 Ches.Bay/Magothy

jentine

I bought a 600' spool of 1/2" polyester line from Coastal Marine (it was less than 30 cents per foot) last year and changed all the running rigging and had some left over for spare line.  I'll bet that I can tie a bowline in the ends of all my runnig rigging faster than you can splice one end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim Kane

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rirvine

Gene:

It depends what type of line you use to replace them â€" similar to what come from Catalina (lowest cost) or a high tech low stretch (highest costs). I have replaced all my halyards with T-900 10mm that I got on sale from Sailnet â€" regular price is about 2.50 per foot.  I have found that Defender pricing for Samson line to be very competitive.  I replaced all my sheets â€" main and jib â€" with Samson Ultra-tech 3/8".

As you can see the sky can be the limit.

rxc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Kane, "Jentine":
  I'll bet that I can tie a bowline in the ends of all my runnig rigging faster than you can splice one end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim Kane<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, but how close to the top of the mast can you haul your halliards when you use bowlines to attach them to the head of the sails?  ;)

Ralph Caruso
s/v "On y va"  C34#777 Ches.Bay/Magothy

Vic Suben

In the past I have used Layline.  Their prices seem to be competitive & they will make up halyards with reeving splices and also splice a loop for the halyard shackle.  Their prices for splicing are pretty reasonable.

jentine

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ralph Caruso #777 1988:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Kane, "Jentine":
  I'll bet that I can tie a bowline in the ends of all my runnig rigging faster than you can splice one end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim Kane<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, but how close to the top of the mast can you haul your halliards when you use bowlines to attach them to the head of the sails?  ;)

Ralph Caruso
s/v "On y va"  C34#777 Ches.Bay/Magothy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can haul the sail fully up the mast to the point where the sail starts to pucker from the tension.  Catalina delivered the boat with bowlines in all the sheets and halyards.  I can demonstrate the proper technique for tieing a bowline if desired. :eek:
Jim Kane

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gene Regan

Hello all,
   Thank you all for your response and info,
Catalina finally returned my call and will sell me 3/8 sta set not x for 53.00 for 115 feet, this is a good buy but sta set x I like better so will continue to price it all sources and report with best pricing, I will maintain bowlines on shackles as they havent failed yet and will not likley in the future.
  Stu thank you for the thread info  it was somewhat useful as well.However pricing is something that constatnly changes and up to date info is always helpful as well.I'll share my results in furure posts .

Gene Regan
713 Freedom

gene regan

tandm

Picked up this link somewhere (maybe on this site?). They seem to have a good selection and reasonable pricing. Its worth checking out anyway.

http://www.layline.com/home.asp

td