Cabin insulation

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwehemef

We have an '88 C34, MK1. Has anyone insulated the cabin to help reduce moisture? If so, how?

mark_53

Insulation doesn't reduce moisture.  Heat or de-humidification will reduce relative humidity.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWe have an '88 C34, MK1. Has anyone insulated the cabin to help reduce moisture?

More information please, where are you located, are you running any heaters, are you living aboard, in water or out, is the boat covered?  I think insulation would help if you have condensation on the walls.  Never experienced that on Shamrock.  FYI unvented propane and catalytic heaters do produce a lot of water vapor.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

It might be a challenge to insulate with the way our boats are built with a hull liner??
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

As Noah says, the way our boats are built, it is a challenge to any sort of meaningful job of insulating.  I notice a big difference when I run the little dehumidifier on my boat.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Guys : Ventilation, Ventilation is the only way to reduce condensation.  The use of a heater and the oven helps, but one of the biggest problems is human breath inside an enclosed area!!!!   :?

A few thoughts   
Ron, Apache #788