GALLEY SINK STOPPERS

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

The two sink stoppers finally broke.  They were the kind with the spring on the bottom and the straight pin with the tabs (which broke off) sticking through into the sink drain fitting.  We liked them because when one was in, one sink wouldn't drain into the other.

Has anyone found a replacement for these? (1986 boat).

We did buy 1 5/8 inch rubber sink stoppers, but they get pushed up by water from the draining sink.  We're looking to keep one sink dry, but still have the easy ability to use both.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Smith

Stu -

I got mine at West Marine/BoatUS last year when I replaced both leaking drain assemblies - they are a Perko product - but I don't know if the plugs are sold separately. If you can't get them separately and have to buy the entire assembly, carefully check that all the parts fit properly are the same for both drains. One part wasn't the right size (who knew?) and really screwed up the installation.

Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

dpenz

Stu,
I investigated this a few years back.  Good news and bad news:  It is possible to buy just the stopper, and the stopper costs just a few dollars.  But there is a minimum order amount.  If you just need one or two, it's still cheaper to buy the entire drain fitting and throw away everything but the stopper.  I've now done this twice.   :(
David

Terry

Last year we purchased 2 from Catalina parts.  If you start now, you might have them by Spring.  As I recall, they were $5 a piece.

Stu Jackson

Thanks for the replies.

Guess I should have included these in my  question:

1.  Didn't think of Catalina since I'd heard they stopped stocking them years ago.  (Glad I'm wrong - or at least I hope so).

2.  Don't want to do the sink rebuild - our PO put in a microwave under the galley sink which would kinda double or triple the effort to re-pipe the drains.

Donations welcome :p

Thanks,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ted Pounds

Stu,

I highly reccomend the replumbing job.  You'll find it's worth it despite the extra effort to access the area.  I had to remove my drawer under the sink.  I just did it this year and wish I'd done it long ago.  For drains I replaced those cheap plasic ones with a pair of SS bar sink drains from Home Depot.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

malgase

Stu

If Catalina has them, please advise P/N and cost.    I could use a couple myself, but haven't gotten 'round to it.

Tx-

Michael

Stu Jackson

Mike

We have two options:

1.  Hope the guys come through and send me a bunch - I'll send you some

2.  We, just the two of us, do a GROUP purchase from Catalina - maybe we can get six for the price of four?!?

Hmmm.......

Anyone wanna volunteer to do the sink drain piping work?  :)

Thanks, we'll keep you posted.

Stu

PS:  For Ted and others FYI, we have our galley sink outlet plumbed to a foot pump, so we don't have to wait until next Tuesday for the water to drain.  We can live with it as it is, since the sink drains do not leak and the microwave is installed inside a complete wooden enclosure, hence, our "why bother to take it all out" approach.

PPS - Mike, maybe we should look at the C34 website PARTS webpage!!! Wouldn't be surporised if the parts # is right there ALREADY!

[I checked, only the galley sink is there, stoppers probably included but not seperately listed.]

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on October 22, 2003 at 10:02 PM.]

mike baker

Check Home Depot or Lowes they should have just the "stopper" for this small drain.

Mike Baker #815 "Gray Hawk"