Larger holding tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Toby

We own a Catalina 34 # 1412 and we would like to enlarge the holding tank. We removed the macerator pump and macerator outlet valve. The 3 inch diam. hole is plugged/filled with epoxy resin using fiberglass matting and fiberglass woven matting.
We are looking for advice for obtaining a larger tank.

Fair sailing

Hank Toby

Roc

Out of curiosity, why did you plug up the thru hull??  Keeping it would have given you a spare seacock to use for other things.  About increasing the holding tank, there is a storage area just forward of the tank area.  You may be able to put another little tank there with a hose connecting it to the existing tank.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

hdevera

Here's a something I have thought about doing i.e. placing a holding tank in the locker space aft of the nav table.  I could do without the space and the hose distance to pump from the head is small.  Hence less water would be needed to pump to clear the hose and the space could fit quite a large holding tank.  I haven't done this because I will more likely install a vacuflush system.  My understanding is that it uses much less water than conventional manual or electric pumps.

reedbr

I'm watching this discussion with interest.  With my family of 5 onboard "Ambitious" for a week this summer, we barely made the end of the trip before pumping out.  I fear more "no discharge" zones on the Chesapeake so I'm not sure I want to invest in a Type I MSD.  I have considered the Vacu-Flush, but dislike the idea of everything running on 12v.  I thought I saw a manual version in a catalog, but now I can't locate it.

I'm looking for someone to come up with the magic answer here.  Waiting...patiently waiting....

Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
Solomons, MD
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD

reedbr

By the way, saw one of these at the Annapolis boat show.  Another interesting option.

Airhead toilet

Brian Reed
Solomons, MD
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD

Ted Pounds

Practical Sailor had an interesting review of composting toilets a few months back.  If you go that route I'm sure we'd all like to hear how it works out.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Sounds like one of the things we can do is to start educating the darned bureaucrats and politicians about this No Discharge Zone nonsense.

They regulate, then make it impossible to pump out because they don't fund enough pump out stations and/or maintain them, and expect us to live with a situation where one rainfall does more runoff damage than if every single boat went out in one day and dumped.

Rhode Island is a prime example.  It's creeping towards us all, and is only going to get worse.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rbeecham

I have had a Lectra-San installed in my last two sailboat.  On my C34, I kept the holding tank with a  'Y' valve to select either the holding tank or the Lectra-San.  I figured if I ever sold the boat, it would be legal in any waters.  I have not used the holding tank in three years.

Dick Beecham                  rbeecham@jersey.net
"Refuge"
C34 MK II  Hull # 1430
Rock Hall, MD