what's your experience with Port Visors

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

I'm thinking about trying a pair of port visors.  My questions are.  Do they really keep the rain out?  Do they restrict the ventilation?

https://seaworthygoods.com/

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

WTunnessen

I installed them on my boat (MK 1) located in Maryland.  They keep out very light rain or drizzle.  Steady and harder rain - no, in part because of splash from the rain hitting the deck. The forward / v-berth cabin visors work less well than the main salon ones, may be because of the slope/angle of cabin is less vertical (?).  Ventilation - no significant loss of air flow.  Reduce leaks from old portlight gaskets - possibly.  They have held up pretty well, although I knocked off a forward one in the early spring and have not bothered putting it back on.  Would I install them again?  Probably not. Maybe a 6 out of 10. 

Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

WTunnessen

One other important point - they don't work with any kind of wind with rain since the wind just blows the rain in.
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Noah

Solve your problem...move to Southern California :abd:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

All : Southern California has little rain - only mud slides, fires and earthquakes!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

I'm sure they miss the hurricanes though.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scgunner

Ron,

Can't have mudslides without rain and while we do have all those things we don't have to beach our boats every year.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jeff Kaplan

I installed 4 on Sedona Sunset, actually had to screw them in as the tape didn't hold. I will confirm that they don't stop the rain coming in. For the time it took to install, I'm disappointed, however, they look good.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWould I install them again?  Probably not.
QuoteI will confirm that they don't stop the rain coming in. For the time it took to install, I'm disappointed, however, they look good.

Thanks to Jeff and WTunnessen,
Based on the replies I'm not going to buy them for the limited benefits.  And not moving to Sothern California for the limited benefit of less rain.
No rain, No rainbows,
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

Jim,

I'm not suggesting you move for any reason but the main benefit of SoCal is keeping your boat in the water year round not rainbows. BTW, how many rainbows do you see when your boat is on the hard with a foot of snow on the ground.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Meanwhile, all bets are off this rare week in SoCal. Been ungodly hot and humid for a week. Now we are supposed to get significant rain this weekend, due to a hurricane that is churning up the Baja coast. It will turn West before it gets us, but not before it screws up the sea and wind just in time for my 2-week solo sail to Catalina which I start Monday! So it is not ALWAYS a weather paradise here—just 90% of the time. :D
Standard Rig

scgunner

Noah,

Looks like you'll have to delay your Catalina trip. If you look at the Catalina cams the harbor dept has cleared out all boats except for the locals, that includes Avalon harbor, Descanso, and even Two Harbors. They must be expecting to get hit hard.

Noah

Kevin—Don't tell my wife.  :cry4` She is already freaking out. I think I should be OK if I head up the coast for a couple of days to Oceanside, Dana Point, and wait to crossover until Wednesday. Things should be blown out by then. Sorry all for highjacking this thread.
Standard Rig

scgunner

Noah,

That was going to be my next suggestion. If necessary you can marina hop all the way up to Alamitos Bay in Long Beach. From there it's a short hop (25 mi) to Avalon. But you should contact the Harbor office first because right now everything looks closed. When they pull up the dinghy docks that's not a good sign.

I went to Avalon early August during Frank it was smaller and father out to sea but on the way out on the marina entrance jetty waves were breaking four to six feet which happens about every 20 years or so. Sweet lefts but the paddle out was a real mother!

Good luck, stay safe.

scgunner

Noah,

It looks like Catalina is now open so I guess the storm has passed. Since you haven't posted for a couple of days I assume you've departed. Looking at the Isthmus there's a Cat 34 that's just arrived, I'm wondering if that's you.