rigging of the boom lift

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Just from one pic the TL looks too tight to me. How far did u back it off after raising the main?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ted Pounds

What Ron said - get a rigid boom vang and get rid of the topping lift.  Gaurhaur makes a very nice one.  I had a Forespar on my 34.  I currently use a BoomKicker on my Gloucester 19.  Lots of choices...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Quote from: anaisdog on July 04, 2022, 11:31:14 AM
thanks Stu, i will have to when i'm back.  i had a bunch of people with me, all trying to solve the issue and talking over each other. i was just trying to quietly get clarity. i will be back wednesday.  thanks

You do realize that if you can post here means you have internet access then you can access your boat owners manual in the tech wiki right here on this 'site?  You don't have to wait until Wednesday to read the manual if you're implying that your hard copy is at home.  Call up the manual and have your "friends" look at it, too.  :D:D:D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Beckie : I agree with Ken that you have the toping lift tooo tight.

To adjust the topping lift (TL) raise the main sail in no wind and tighten the mainsheet line. Then tighten the Toping Lift until there is a slight sag in it.  That way when you raise the main sail the TL will not clean off all of your main's telltales!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog

Ron, that's what I'm thinking too!  so thanks!  i'll mess around with it tomorrow when I'm back at my boat.  and THANKS!
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on July 04, 2022, 08:50:15 AM
Jon, where would the boom lift go, if it wasn't on, when the main was up? that makes sense,i just don't remember where it goes

@bk
As originally rigged it doesn't "go" anywhere.  You just ease the TL after you raise the main - enough so it's slack and not holding up the boom but not so loose as it's constantly slapping against the leech.
Once you find the sweet spot you could put a mark on the line so you know where to cleat it before raising the main.
I reversed my TL; ran it to a rope clutch so that Idon't have to screw around fighting to adjust it on the boom.

Wait. I know the answer. You just need to SPEND MORE TIME on the boat!!!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog

yeah, Ken, i do need to spend more time on the boat.  with working and the divorce, i haven't had much but i'm trying to find people to come with me,now, since i couldn't before because people were afraid of my ex.

Ron Hill

Beckie : On my 1988 there was a cleat on the boom and once I adjusted the Topping Lift (main sail up & with a little slack in the TL) I never touched it again!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog

there is a cleat on mine as well.  i think i just over tightened it when i put it on and forgot.  when i get back to the boat, i'll work with it.