Gennaker rigging

Previous topic - Next topic

Patches

I nabbed a "like new" North gennaker, snuffer, and sheets yesterday for a great price.  I've flown a gennaker before on prior boats, and am interested in hearing from others how you rigged the tack line.  The seller said he he attached a block to the bail on the anchor roller, and then ran the tack line through that block to adjust the height of the tack.  However, the elderly prior owner admitted little familiarity/experience with the gennaker.  He purchased it, and after a couple of attempts, parked it in the basement.

When swapping out my Bruce 15kg this past summer for a Rocna of the same size, I had to replace the bail on the anchor roller with a new one from Garhauer in order to accommodate the different size/shape of the Rocna.  So that hardware is pretty solid.  But I'm a little concerned about harnessing 700+ square feet of sail off that bail in 12-15 knots of breeze.

How have others rigged the tack line down to the stem?

Thanks.

Patches

LogoFreak

:clap :clap :clap

Maybe not very helpful, but prior to this setup I used a ATN tacker, you can use a soft shackle to attach a block to one of your cleats and run the line to the atn tacker and the tack of the sail attaches to the ATN tacker. Sorry I don't have any pictures of how I had it rigged before.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Jim Hardesty

Quoteprior to this setup I used a ATN tacker, you can use a soft shackle to attach a block to one of your cleats and run the line to the atn tacker and the tack of the sail attaches to the ATN tacker.

That's what I do now, before that I used the bail.  I believe the ATM works better, but the bail did work.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

I have an ATN tacker and 45ft. sock with cone for sale if anyone needs one.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Robert Mann

Hi Patches
I have rigged mine with the ATN tacker and that works well.  However, I really want to rig another system from the stem fitting, where the forestay attaches using a downhaul, but I haven't figured out a good way yet.  The Mk II is a bit tight from a clearance perspective, as seen from the photo.  One thing I wouldn't do, on a permanent basis, is attach a block to the bail on the anchor guide.  There has been a lot of discussion about that, but my feeling is that system is meant to be under a compressive load, as with an anchor, not under tension as the spinnaker will apply, especially when it's in a blow.
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC