Saying "Good Bye" to a very dear friend"

Previous topic - Next topic

captran

I posted this on my Facebook page today: " I said a sad goodbye to a very dear friend yesterday.  She and I were very close, and traveled together nearly 1500 days at sea in the last 21 years, sailing over 20,000 miles in both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.  She took us to hundreds of tropical islands and well as remote anchorages in Canada and allowed us to see amazing sunsets, and even brought us safely through a hurricane and quite a few tropical storms.
I hope her new owners, John Martinek and Kelly Martinek, have as many years of enjoyment and memories as she brought us.
If this new chapter in our lives bring us half as much joy, I would be pleasantly surprised."             
Seven years ago we met a nice couple at Spencer Spit who invited us aboard their Helmsman 38, Honu.  The next year, the first mate developed medical issues that ended their boating life, and the broker contacted us.  We had been on Voyager replacing the hot water heater  (SPECIAL THANKS TO JACK H. FOR HIS HELP ON THAT JOB!).  The first mate and I talked about it on the 6 hour drive home after viewing Honu, but decided we still had more sailing years ahead of us.  Last summer we saw the boat at Friday Harbor and chatted with the owners that bought her when we didn't.  They said they were thinking of giving up boating, so we gave them our number.  Long story short, they called two weeks ago with a decent offer, we listed Voyager on Craig's list and had many inquires, including three full cash offers.  The first one backed out after he couldn't find moorage, and the 2nd in line agreed to purchase, and we signed away the title late Thursday.

It is hard to say goodbye to such a great boat, and I hope my grieving doesn't last too long.  I would love to thank   all of the many who have helped me learn and care for my boat over the last 21 years.  And Stu, especially, who helped me evaluate my boat when it was purchased and throughout the years. :cry4`
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Stu Jackson

Thanks for the kind words, Randy.  It really was a group effort.  :D  All the best, Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

I am sure we ALL can relate the excitement of new vs the sadness of passing on a tried and true well loved vessel. Thanks for sharing the story and congrats on the new vessel.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

captran

Quote from: waughoo on April 30, 2022, 08:56:09 PM
I am sure we ALL can relate the excitement of new vs the sadness of passing on a tried and true well loved vessel. Thanks for sharing the story and congrats on the new vessel.

I must admit, it's 99% sadness.  My life was so stable and I was so content to continue to do what we have been doing since 86.  I know moving about in the comfort of an inside cabin, and having a walk around bed and a huge engine room and a real refrigerator might be "easier", but I am really struggling to wrap my head around not being a sailor.  I just loved sitting in the cockpit, out of the wind with my great canvas, playing some tunes, sipping a cocktail as the sun sank into the horizon.  Sigh!
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa