Seasonal Engine Maintenance

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris@Slocum

I've closed on a 1988 C34 and just can't wait to launch.  I've ordered the filters, belts and impeller kits.  The survey was conducted in Feb, the engine started right up, no worries.  So, I'm very anxious to actually do something.  A good first step being thinking it out, I wonder if I might be best to wait until after launching, when the engine will be required to reach a mooring, to do the filter replacements and so on.  Doing the changes in advance might interfere with a smooth launch because of an unexpected issue (shooting myself in the foot).
I've lurked here for a couple of months as a guest, but there is just too much wisdom here to through everything quickly, so I'll just say thanks to you all for some of the best non-fiction reading I've none in some time!
Best regards,
Chris

waughoo

Not sure if you have access to water where you are at on the hard and if the yard allows it, but I ran my boat on the jack stands to make sure all was good prior to launch.  I also did an oil change at that time to make sure all was good before I started using the new to me boat (trucked over land).  I used what they call a fake a lake placed over the raw water pick up to supply cooling water.  It worked great!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

If it was me, and a new-to-me boat, unless the boat has been winterized/laid up with fluids drained, etc, (which I know little about being from SoCal) I would not mess with anything on the engine, until I was at my home slip or mooring. Too many chances for problems that would mess up your launch. I would concentrate on making sure your seacocks are lubed, new zincs installed, and any other tasks that are important to do and easier, while on the hard. Enjoy!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Chris : I second Noah's suggestion.  Do you have any idea when the filters were changed?  I take a "sharpie" and write on the filter the date/engine hrs. I changed it.

You might want to pop off the raw water faceplate and pull/inspect the impeller.  Then you know that it is OK and shoot some silicone spray on it (if there are no missing blades or cracks at the blades' base).

Good Luck, Welcome aboard!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Chris@Slocum

Thanks for your replies.  Supplying the engine with cooling water was the method used to test the engine during survey.  It was then re-winterized.  I could use this method once.  Warm days are hard to come by here, at the moment, and warmed oil would be easiest to replace.  I'll have a 3 or 4 day trip up the Hudson to our home marina.  I like the idea of doing the maintenance in steps, being able to run the engine until hot in-between.  I want to be familiar with each task and the tools required before the trip.

Ron,  I don't know when filters were last changed.  I appreciate your suggestion about at least looking over the impeller for damage ad giving it a shot of lubrication.  Date labels are a great idea.
Many thanks &
Best regards,
Chris

KWKloeber

@Chris

Which engine and seawater pump does she have?

If before splash you have enough time to take care of a potential snafu if one occurs when you change the fuel filters (e.g., a vacuum leak) then ok, otherwise as Noah suggested I would put changing them on hold.

If you can get 'er up to temp then there's little downside to new lube/filters.  Tranny fluid as well.

Make sure that you carry a new impeller for an immediate emergency replacement -- and your old one for a second "OH $H!T" replacement.

If there's a chance that you won't have time to handle any snafu then wait but of course, it's better to have new before the trip since you have no idea how many hours the filters have on them.

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI'll have a 3 or 4 day trip up the Hudson to our home marina.  I like the idea of doing the maintenance in steps, being able to run the engine until hot in-between.  I want to be familiar with each task and the tools required before the trip.

Chris,
Welcome and congratulations on your new, to you, boat.  A lot of good advice has already been given and sounds like you have a good handle on what needs done.  Are you planning on spending some time catching up on maintenance before you do your delivery cruise?  Or just go?  Either way if it were me I'd pack lots of oil, min 4 qts, and lots of fuel filters, 3 each in the 5 to 10 micron range.  Hopefully you won't use them now but you will have them.  I think dirty fuel is the #1 sail boat engine problem. 
Would also start a engine/maintenance log.  I use a simple steno tablet that I added columns for date, log distance, engine hours and comment where fuel, oil changes/adding, filters, parts and all else engine is entered.  Hope you find one left the PO used.   FWIW when I'm asked to look at a boat for a friend, that's one of the first things I look for.
Hope you enjoy your 34 as much as I do,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

Chris,

I'll third Noah, if it's running I wouldn't mess with it until you get it home. If it's got a maintenance log and or boat's log that should give you some idea of what shape the motor is in. If not start one it'll will be very handy down the road. In any case I'd start with a 100 hour service. Also an often overlooked item is the transmission fluid might as well change it along with the 100 service this should give you a good baseline starting point for engine maintenance.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

Chris, to piggyback on Jim

- Here are the data I previously gathered on popular filter manufacturers' efficiencies:
https://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Replacement_Filters,_Belts,_and_Lubricants#Diesel_Fuel_Filters

The short story is that Fleetwood had the highest filtering efficiency and the brand that my local heavy equipment dealer recommended and uses on its Kubota equipment.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Catalina007

I  think there is some good advice and alot of bad. I disagree with Noah and Ron
I would much rather know things are working properly before setting out to your home port!!!!
If you have a good record of last years maintainance then not so much a worry.
Freezing season is about over now in the northeast
If you dont have history, it is is a perfect time to  change all the filters, belt, impellers and fluids
Put the engine intake hose into a 5 gallon Home depot bucket and feed with a fresh water hose from the marina.
Easiest if you have two people
Run the engine as long as you  like
If you dont have this, then wait until you get it home.   
All the procedures are avaialble  in the forums or watch on youtube and few tools are necessary
Change the impeller, belt, filters, coolant, fluids, hoses where necessary. If they are original, change them
MUCH easier to do on land then at a mooring.   Any screwups at launch time will be small and easily fixed.
I always do all this annual maintnenance before launch.  So much easier. Never once in the water 

Chris@Slocum

Thanks to all of you for the welcome, information links and good advice.  I'm going to discuss the maintenance with the previous owner before deciding on my approach.  Again, I'm grateful for the generous input and support.
Best regards,
Chris

KWKloeber

Chris

As you found (possibly :cry4`) you'll get a pendulum swing of opinions on here; sometimes a narrow set of factual info.
Everything has to be digested for what's best for your boat and your situation!!
We say YBYC - your boat, your choice. (I like "Your Catalina, Your Choice" better!!  :rolling :party :rolling

Ron Hill

Chris : Hurrah!!  :D  If you can talk to the PO that's great and get an idea on when filters were changed and the age of the impeller - then you can decide your next course of action!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Chris,
My 2 cents about fuel filters.  It's not age that requires change as much as how much dirty fuel they have filtered. 
Was buddy boating with a friend and he refused to believe that the filters he changed a week before needed changed again.  He did have spares aboard.  Limped into next port spent a couple of days waiting for mechanic.  Mechanic changed the fuel filters and called it good, said looked like was some dirty fuel.   My buddy ended up changing the filters one more time that trip.  We all still had a good time, just didn't go as far as we had planned.
And impellers.  The only impeller that has failed me was less than a month old. 
What I'm saying is don't rule out new parts failing.  Sometimes it just happens.  To quote Captain Ron "It's going to happen out there".
Something that hasn't been mentioned.  Check the anchor and rode.  If there's a problem anchoring and sorting it out may be the easy and safe way.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

You might be interested in this:

Fuel Starvation and The Obscure Check Ball Valve
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,10681.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."