Is the USCG requiring Fire Extinguisher replacement at 12 years?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

I think the USCG is requiring fire extinguishers to be less than 12 years old.

https://boatus.org/fire-extinguishers/

Do I understand this right?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Admiral_Swellson

That article is clear as mud!  :shock:

I found this here:  https://uscgboating.org/multimedia/repository.php

Top link on the news page is: 

Updated Fire Extinguisher Requirements    
Published: 2023-01-27
New Fire Equipment Regulations takes effect on April 20, 2022.

Which also is strange, but what do you expect for your trillions of tax dollars!!!

Admiral_Swellson

This is probably the most thorough requirements I've found:

https://uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/fire-extinguisher-faq.php

"Vessels older than model year 2018 may carry either 5-B or 20-B rated fire extinguishers that are less the 12 years old or B-I or B-II rated fire extinguishers that are in good and serviceable condition."

scgunner

A good practice when it comes to maintenance is every so often turn the extinguisher upside down and give it a good shaking. The idea is to keep the powder from settling and becoming solid at which point no matter what the gauge reads the extinguisher is useless. When you shake the inverted extinguisher you should be able to feel the power moving around or hear it. As long as you can do that and you're pressure is green it's good to go.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

Jim

In a word, "correct."

The back story is that generally, manufacturers say FEs are good for 10-15 years, although they are not required to apply an "expiration date" (as on flares for instance.)   So the CG uses 12 years average.

You can carry an expired FE, but as "excess" equipment (over/above any required FE(s).)

The hoopla about CG rules are much ado about nothing -- they are not "new" rules.  The CG rule for FEs was governed by standard NFPA 10 (yes, 12 years expiration) and, for recreational vessels only, was simply yanked out and condensed/simplified and moved to a different section (specifically governing Recreational Vessels.) 

So now we can throw away all our copies of NFPA 10 that everyone purchased and kept aboard so we knew how to maintain our FEs. :shock: :shock: 
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : In the military Fire Depts - they would take the powder FEs and "stir up" the powder, repressurize and recertify FEs.  However, don't know of any civilian Fire Depts that will do that!?!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

scgunner

Ron,

When I was stationed at the airport (Sta #16 LBFD) we would service our own portables but that's because they were Purple K extinguishers and that stuff is so expensive.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Catalina007

A better question... Why would you want a 12 yr old FEX on board when a new one is so cheap?

Noah

When I rewired and upgraded to new a main panel and electronics suite, I switched over to Halotron fire extinguishers. They are quite expensive, but don't leave a powdery residue nor wreck havoc on sensitive components. They can be inspected/weighed/recharged if needed. Fortunately I have never had to "pop" one off.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

Catalina007,

Not replacing a functional extinguisher is even cheaper.