Shaft packing

Previous topic - Next topic

Capes

Need advice on packing. Leaking pretty bad.
1986 hull#9

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Noah's link is the best.  For more, a lot more, discussion use the search box enter "shaft packing" and do use the quotes.  I'd try adjusting it first, remember to adjust only a little at a time, maybe 1/16 turn at a time.  Then at next haul-out check the cutlass bearing and change the packing.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

@Capes

It sounds from your post that possibly you're not well versed about the stuffing box. That's not criticism I'm just want to create a baseline to work with.
If not, please understand that over tightening to stop a leak can compress the packing to the extent that it can damage the shadt.  It's not like a rubber gasket that will rebound if some pressure is relieved.  It can stay tight and consequently burn the shaft.

So if you haven't tried adjusting the packing nut, be cautious.  Is there a mechanic or trusted boat neighbor who can guide you?
You don't want to tighten, then back off until you get a drip.  You want to SLOWLY adjust it, run the engine, adjust again the next day.

Can you haul to change the packing, and at the same time the log hose if it's due?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Capes : I like to use(and use it myself) the Gore dripless packing. 410-392-3200

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

There is an entire section in the tech wiki about this:

https://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Stuffing_box

As my article there noted, there is an excellent section your BOAT MANUAL on it, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."