Does anyone know if u can put a seaward 3 burner into a 1986

Previous topic - Next topic

sailingdolphin

I have hull # 71 curious if a three burner will fit.  I have to install the gimbal brackets they have never been installed before.

Seaward says it will fit.  I have taken out the bar and put it in. It gimbals a little I am not sure how much it is supposed to gimbal

on your stoves is there any countertop behind it or just a couple inches of space before the teak?

Thanks

jentine

If it fits put it in.  No one (in their right mind) cooks while underway in a coastal cruiser.  There is a small piece of countertop before the start of the teak.
Jim Kane

sailingdolphin

It fits but there is not much gimbaling in the back maybe a 1/2" in the front there is quite a bit.

I have done quite a bit of cooking underway in smaller and older sailboats like Catalina's, Shock's, Newport's etc., then a 1986 Catalina 34.

Ted Pounds

Mine gimbals enough that it will work as long as the sea is not too choppy nor the wind too brisk.  Make sure you have pot clamps for the burners.  That said, the only cooking I do underway is boiling water in a tea pot for instant coffee, soups, etc.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Doug

The real downside of a 3 burner is that there isn't room for one good sized pot anywhere on the surface.  The larger number of burner makes the area for each much smaller.  I can't ever remember wanting another burner, and am sure glad that we can put two reasonably sized pans or pots on at once.  I'd stay with two or buy a new two, but three just doesn't work, even if you're trying to feed three hundred crew at once.

Gimablling is fine, but rarly, if ever used.  On a port tack it just doesn't have enough room to swing back before it hits the hull liner.  Maybe that's why starboard tack is right of way, you can cook and sail and others will avoid you!

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

Doug,

I'm sorry, I missed the part about three burners.  I have a two burner in mine.  I agree with Stu, two is all you need.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447