Helmsman Seat

Previous topic - Next topic

PLKennedy

Two and one half seasons I put the helmsman seat and cushion in the cellar, out of the way.  This past weekend I put it on board.  It was very useful for me at the helm.  But what a pain in use of the boat.  Couldn't get to the dingy easily, couldn't get into the lazzarettes without pulling off the center cushion, etc., etc.

So, when at anchor, living on the boat, what do you do to get the damned thing out of the way?

It has its place, but when not under way, what's to do?

Peter

hdevera

Snowgoose,
When I anchor and remove the helmseat, I store it on deck in front of the dodger (by the mast).  It's out of the way and doesn't take space down below.  By the mast it's out of the way.

Hal

Stu Jackson

Is that not why they invented dinghies?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

reedbr

My wife and I have a love/hate relationship with that seat.  She loves it, I hate it.  I've been trying to design a replacment that could be made of wood and hinged off either the port or starbord aft locker lid (or both).  So far I haven't figured out an optimum setup, but maybe I'll look at it again this weekend.  

Option B instead of a hinged seat is to have a self-stowing wood seat than can be kept inside the aft locker lid(s) to port and starboard.

For now, once we anchor we hang it on the bow pulpit.

Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
Solomons, MD
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD

rdavison

Mine's in the attic as the hassle was too great.  I've been looking at this seat http://www.helmseat.com/index.htm
made by a fellow I used to work with.  It might be a good solution but I don't know anyone who has one.

Randy Davison  k7voe

kmorton16@comcast.net

Mine is in the attic of my garage.  
Ken Morton - Trident - 1300

captran

During the day we often hang it by the grooved cutouts on the side rail back toward the side seat.  I thought thats what the  cutouts on each side are for.   It's up, out of the way and we can still open all the lockers withut moving it.  At night we just put the seat back in place just in case weather gets rough.  It seems like it's a perfect fit.  Was that not what it's designed for?

tassber #1321

I hang mine by the grooved cutouts on the outside of the lifeline about midship.  I tie a safety line around it and leave it there until we raise anchor or leave our mooring.. I stow the cushion in the aft cabin.  I usually place a welcome mat on the transom step to wipe our feet when we step abour from the dinghy.

Jim Price

I just saw a C34 (2000 model I think) down at the GA coast two weeks ago with a pedestal helm set like the one Randy ("Gorbash")mentioned.  Looked pretty good but you would have to store it somewhere if you use the walk through.  Otherwise, it had good clearance between the seat and the wheel.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Norris Johnson

I store mine on the lifelines like tassber.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

jentine

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I have wondered what to do with the damned thing for 11 years.  After reading the above thread, I hung it on the lifelines by the grooves.  How wonderful.  
Jim Kane

PLKennedy

Ditto the thanks, but by hanging on the rails won't the lines suffer chaffing?  

Peter a/k/a Capt. Pristine

reedbr

Lifelines are pretty durable.  They shouldn't chafe.  Even if there is a lot of motion, it still wouldn't be much chafe.  You could always hang it from the metal pulpit or pushpit railing.  I think that's what the hanging groove in the seat is sized for anyway.

Brian Reed
Solomons, MD
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD