Refitting Polonaise

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

Thanks Gregory.  I felt the same way when reading about it: a sort of next gen max prop.  I really like the half shell blade bushings to fix the wear.  Very cool idea.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Reconfiguring the nav station, does anyone know which veneered plywood matches the interior cabinetry best?
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

waughoo

I do believe it is teak plywood, but I haven't verified that.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Made the templates today, going to find some half decent plywood and make pieces as a temp setup and live with it for a few months, see how I like it. If it's a keeper I'll go find the proper veneered plywood and finish them next fall.

The inside template is simply for a piece of ply to mount all the black boxes.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Did the solid parts holding the sliding plastic doors come out without much trouble?  I have this on the near term list and have started to investigate how to remove those parts.  Also, it looks as though you are having the new "plane" of the panel come out a bit further from its current location.  Do I have that right?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

It came out in one piece without too much trouble, had to remove a piece of trim for it to slide out though.

Yes the new panel is out a little further, I wanted a bit of extra room in the back for airflow around all the black boxes and I won't miss the lost room in the front.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

KWKloeber

Quote from: LogoFreak on February 20, 2022, 11:20:35 AM

Reconfiguring the nav station, does anyone know which veneered plywood matches the interior cabinetry best?

The interior was supplied by H&L who is out of biz several years.  Contact Cesar.
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,11293.msg90306.html#msg90306

Some have simply purchased teak veneer and applied it over cabinet-grade plywood.

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

LogoFreak

Ordered a couple of BlueSea panels, an 18 position (8378) one and an 8 position (8023) one as well. The smaller panel will be a sub panel for all the electronics which will be powered by a single breaker on the main 18 position panel labeled "Electronics", that way I can power all electronics with a single switch.

I still need to pick the right AC panel, doing some research on what I need. I'll never have a generator on board (at least not one mounted down below in the traditional sense) so I don't think I need an AC selector switch. Single AC source should be enough, and the inverter charger gets wired in between shore power and AC panel.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Quote from: LogoFreak on February 22, 2022, 07:32:13 AM
The smaller panel will be a sub panel for all the electronics which will be powered by a single breaker on the main 18 position panel labeled "Electronics", that way I can power all electronics with a single switch.

Clever solution to that problem.  I ran into a similar problem and thus used a single breaker to power a fuse panel just to allow for enough amps to switch many things but have fuse protection for each individual item.  It does limit what will be on or off at a given time though.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Black box panel in place, now figuring out the best layout to mount what I already have and leaving room for future additions. Ray90, AIS700 and ACU-200, leaving room for the new Raymarine yachtsense link.

And yes, once I am satisfied with the install and placement of everything I will take it apart, epoxy coat it and like paint it white.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

I think I'm happy with this.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Curious that youll have the ACU that far away from the linear drive.  Any particular reason?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

It's a dry area and easy to troubleshoot, makes no difference wether I lead cables from dc panel all the way to ACU or just lead the cables to the linear drive.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

True... mine is in a rather tricky spot to get to in a pinch.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

Logo-i thought you were planning to raise your distribution panel up higher, to the position the MK2 uses, not keep it down at charttable level? Maybe that was another refit or you changed you mind?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig