Bottom Paint

Previous topic - Next topic

vic suben

How much paint should I plan for when I re-paint the bottom of Surprise (a fin keel 1987 Catalina 34? :rolleyes:

Stu Jackson

Bottom Paint

Vic

It all depends on how many coats you want to put on.  Most times we do a coat and a half, the half being the foot below the waterline, the keel front and the rudder.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

vsuben

Stu:

I need a rough idea of how much paint per coat I should plan for.

Thanks,

Vic

Roc

Vic,
I put 3 coats of Micron CSC and I used 4 gallons of paint.  I would think that 1-1/3 gallons per coat would be a pretty close estimate.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

vsuben

Ken Juul

Last time I painted mine I used a gallon and a qt.  I think next time I will increase that to 2 qts. to double coat the wear areas. I try to paint every other year, nearing the end of the second season I can see the paint getting very thin on the lead edge of the rudder.  I have the wing keel.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Gene Regan

Vic,
  Just did ours in the spring and used 2.5 gallons of pettit hydrocoat, went on nice and cleaned up easy.

Gene Regan
713 1988 Freedom

gene regan

rappareems

We use VC 17 over an epoxy base for the most part on Lake Ontario.  App. 4 quarts rolled on each year.  One coat.

Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Terry

Shadow (wing keel) takes 5 cans (.75 qt) of VC-17 each spring.  I've been told we don't need to paint it every season but I do anyways - old habit.

Brad Colon

Four quarts of VC 17 after I figured out to pour the paint on the roller and keep the lid on the can as the evaporation rate is very rapid. This is on a wing keel model. This allows for a second coat on the front of the keel.
1994 CAPTIVATED # 1285

pklein

I agree with Ron Hill.  Less is better and not every year.  We are on Lake Michigan and I paint every 3-4 years.  One gallon of ablative paint does it for a wing keel.  The guys at the boat yard told me that there is the same amount of fuzz at the end of the season on boats done every year as on boats done every 3 years.  Unless you race, I would highly recommend ablative paint every three years.  Ignore me if you are in salt water.  I only know the inland sea.

Phill Klein
Andiamo #977
Montrose Harbor - Chicago

Vic Suben

Thanks,

I am in salt water.

Ray & Sandy Erps

So Vic,

How much did you end up using.  I'm hauling my boat out Weds.  I bought two gallons of a soft paint and was planning on two coats.  Sure wish I knew what was on the boat before we bought it, as I got three years out of it.  (with periodic scubbing)
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Jack Hutteball

Ray,
I painted my bottom last year (after three years with periodic scrubbing) and it took two gallons for two coats with Interlux ablative.  I hope this lasts as well.  I don't know what was on the boat when I bought it, but it was a good ablative.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

paule

I use 1 gallon and and just shy 1 full quart of West Marine CCP ablative paint 2coats.  Goes on great  wears good and little build up, I can see my original coat of paint when I haul out for the winter. SI have no build up of paint.

Wing Keel

Paul
Yachta Yachta Yachta[/b]
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947