When Ignorance ISN'T Bliss

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

What were your caliper readings?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KeelsonGraham

Haven't done them yet KW. Been away a lot recently. Hopefully, I'll get back down to the boat within the next two weeks.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

KWKloeber

If you have emulsified oil behind the pump land that's an indication to me that water was getting past the rear seal of the seawater pump (like if the weep hole was corroded shut.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Keel : You best better track down where that water is coming from and mixing with the oil.  NOT Good!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KeelsonGraham

I'm 99% certain that the emulsified oil is the result of a failed seal in the water pump. That old pump is completely and utterly shot. I'll check the inside of the rocker cover, of course. Hopefully there's been no major ingress into the engine block.

KeelsonGraham

Pretty interesting measuring the difference between the old Sherwood pump and the new JMP one. The old pump was 5mm short of fully engaging in the camshaft slot. The new JMP is only 1mm short (which is probably about right). This is all accounted for by the fact that the key on the new JMP pump is longer than the key on the old Sherwood.

Maybe the Sherwood was the wrong one?

KWKloeber

@Keel

How long is the tang on the Sherwood and what's the distance from its end to the mounting face of the pump?