Soda blasting and barrier paint

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_in_lex

I had mine soda blasted when I bought her -- she had about 10 years' worth of bottom paint and the soda blast took it right off without any apparent damage to the hull surface.  Used an epoxy primer (Seahawk's Tuff Stuff), then ablative paint, and it all worked well.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

steveg

Jim Hardesty, I have used a low pressure spray painter as you have done as well. It definitely reduces the amount of paint used.  FYI, my boat is close to yours as mine is a 2001 mkii, hull #1572, "Dream Catcher", which I sail in Lake Michigan.

Ron Hill

Guys : You can have your bottom sand blasted.  However, sand blasting should only be done by an experienced operator!! It's  definitely not a DIYS job!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

wingman

Thanks all for input.

LogoFreak: your boat looks fantastic!

I'm ready to pull the trigger on soda blasting, in fact I can't wait to get that paint off.

Now considering the type of paint and longer-term painting strategy since we'd basically be starting over with the first coat on the gel coat.

I have read/heard that because of the vinylester resins used in this era (2000) Catalina hull some owners dispense with the epoxy barrier coat and go straight to a coat of hard bottom paint. Would like to hear thoughts or experiences related to that idea.
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

Robert Mann

Wingman,  Mine is in fresh water and we use Trinidad Pro.  This time the guy who has always done the bottom of my boat used a 2000E primer coat.  This is because we have seen some adhesion issues with Trinidad Pro on the lake. Which has prompted the discussion, "has Trinidad changed the formula", as we have used it for years with really good results.  As our boats stay in the water year round the recommendation is not to apply a barrier coating under the bottom paint on other than new boats, as moisture in the fiberglass can cause a myriad of small blisters under the barrier coat. 
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

Noah

Robert, I am confused. 2000E (Interlux) IS a barrier coat. You say you used it but "not to use it except on new boats"?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Robert Mann

He used a single coat, purely as a primer, not the multi coats required to make an impervious barrier.  This goes on after sanding the old bottom paint off.  My bottom schedule was blown this time and went 6 years, so it was well overdue.  No blisters, except on the keel surface just below the joint. 
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

wingman

A friend who has owned a small fleet of Catalinas says the vinyl ester resins used in the fiberglass layup in 1990s and newer hulls provides the same protection as epoxy barrier coats.

Has anyone done a soda blast and decided to not do an epoxy barrier coat and go straight to the bottom paint on top of gelcoat?
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471