Cabin seat locker access boards - replacement material?

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalina007

Any suggestions on how to make new panels for the under cushion access boards for the seat / bunk storage areas?
The original boards are a little punky and seem to retain moisture.
Thought is use the originals for patterns and cut out new boards out of 1/2 in plywood with a router.
Seal / paint the new boards
What have others done?

waughoo

Your answer of uaing a router to cut them with the old ones as a guide is likely the best possible solution.  My only addition is to rough cut the new panels over sized by about a 1/4 inch and then use the router to get them spot on.  It will be much less dramatic that way.

Also, the material seems to me to be sign painter's board.  It is a plywood meant to be moisture resistant and has a smooth surface on the outside to provide a flat canvas for signs.  You might want to fjnd a good lumber yeard near you and ask about it.  You wont find it at the big box stores.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

I believe you are talking about MDO:
Medium-density fiberboard (MDF) is manufactured from fine wood fibers and resin bonded together, Greg, and compressed into sheets to give it a smooth, flat surface. Medium-density overlay board (MDO) has a similar, smooth surface about 1⁄16 " thick on each face, bonded to a plywood core. Because MDO's faces contain more resin than MDF, MDO works well for exterior use, such as painted signs. Stronger than MDF, MDO weighs less and doesn't create a cloud of choking dust when you saw it. It also costs about a third more.

You'll find MDO at some home centers, but will have better luck at a lumberyard or hardwood retailer that sells sheet goods.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ken Krawford

Another vote for MDO.  I'm able to buy it from a sign company and the price is pretty reasonable.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Catalina007

scgunner

Catalina007,

I'm still using my original boards but I sealed them with a couple of coats of West Systems epoxy, it seems to work fine for me.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

An option might be the CTY factory, who would/should have the patterns unless destroyed in a fire.  Typically it's prices are quite reasonable.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

Indeed MDO was what I was thinking of.  I stand corrected on its availability.  I've only ever bought it at a few specialty lumber yards I frequent.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Catalina007

Quote from: scgunner on December 02, 2020, 07:11:03 AM
Catalina007,

I'm still using my original boards but I sealed them with a couple of coats of West Systems epoxy, it seems to work fine for me.

Aha! That may be a cheap and easy fix. thanks!