Another day another issue [ Throttle cable

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalina007

I'm coming to realize one way to stop having all these problems is to stop looking for them.

Pedestal control cable was led between the quadrant and the wire steering cable. The installer  had to
work hard  at screwing that up. Chewed up a little but not bad for 35 years of chafing.

waughoo

Yikes!!  I hear ya on not looking for them, but it does make one feel better to find and fix rather than have a failure at an inopportune moment.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Is it possible the cable was held in a safe orientation away from the "radial wheel" by a zip tie that has long gone away?

(a quadrant is a different animal.)

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Catalina007

Sorry yes meant wheel.     
Could be true on the shifter cable which was only laying on the outside of the wheel wire with minor abrasion.
I put a temporary tie on the throttle cable which was working fine, and also the shift cable.
I was just under there for something else and did an inspection.  But no way should either have been
led anything like that especially the throttle cable which was inside of  the wire cable.   

ghebbns

Just a little warning.  My throttle cable "exploded" out of its cover this summer and I lost the ability to shift gears.  Luckily I was just coming into the mooring and was in neutral, but if it happened at a different time, it could have been a very bad scene.

The cable itselt is a little bit of a bugger to get up the pedastal, but other than that not too bad a job to replace.
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

scgunner

Catalina007,

You're right, if you stop looking for problems you won't find them, but eventually they will find you. Looks to me like you're on the right track, a slow, methodical inspection of a new to you old boat. I don't like surprises when I'm on the water and one way to reduce the number of surprises is to do what you're doing.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273