M25 - Hoses Hoses Hoses

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalina007

New to us M25 from mid 80s and we plan on replacing all fuel and heating/cooling, raw water hoses which look original.
The CD exact replacement parts prices are giving sticker shock.  $40-50 each hose?
Where do frugal folks source their hoses? 

ewengstrom

When we purchased our 1988 C34 last August we found that virtually all of the hoses on the boat were original (probably). Some were so rotted it's amazing they held any fluids.....some did not hold fluids  :shock:
Defender is a good place to start, we also purchased some from Fisheries Supply and some from other sources, some suppliers have all of the hose sizes but like you said, sticker shock drove me to other suppliers on a few.
Shop the sales if they are still going on, we did and that saved $$$ too.
I did take the opportunity to re-route a few things while we were doing all this plumbing work,
I routed the hot and cold water feed to the head under the floor and up into the locker under the head sink rather than thru the engine compartment as originally designed. I also reworked the entire plumbing system under the galley sink with a new distribution system, pump, filter, etc. This opened up that cabinet next to the stove for storage rather than plumbing equipment.
Lots of possibilities here...as long as you're in there that is.  :D

Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

scgunner

I just did the 100hr service on my M25 at which time I took the opportunity to replace a couple of suspect hoses. I found them at my local chandlery that carries parts for the M25. While I don't recall them being cheap they were factory replacements which is what I was after. The way I look at it I'm spending the money for piece of mind.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

I tend to use pretty much universally Shields hose - Shieldsflex 250 series for engine hoses, and all wire wound to keep it simple. If you're on the I supply side of a pump 250 is mandatory. On the discharge side the non-wire-wound, I think it's the 200 series?, is ok.

Of course fuel hose must be USCG approved, and again my go-to is Shields.
Trident has comparable hose but I got nearly all mine at West Marine because it was close by they stocked Shields and all were IN STOCK.

You can find Shields series hosed online.

On the engine hose many use good old auto supply heater hoses that meet the same J SAE standard, but again be cautious about non-wire hose on the suction side of pumps.

I know most lengths for my C30 but of course a few, not all, of yours on the 34 will be different.  If you don't know hose IDs I can find my list and post em. As far as lengths (that you can't easily measure) you can pull em and trail a 1/8" nylon messenger line to pull the new back in place.

Replace clamps with ABA or WAWB brand non-perforated-band clamps.  A decent price is thru a good guy at ultimategarage.com versus the marine prices. Unfortunately the head are different (metric) than US clamps so using a multi screwdriver (sans the bit) doesn't work but you can use a nut driver or nut driver insert on your screwdriver or a flex drive specially for those clamps.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

007 : Your best friend $$ is your NAPA/auto parts dealer!!  Just remember that you only need wire reinforced hose on the inlet (suction) side of a pump or if the hose makes and acute bend!!  Otherwise Gates brand nylon reinforced hose does the job.  Defender can supply you with the wire reinforced hose if the auto parts cannot.

You might also look at their fuel hoses also.
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on November 23, 2020, 08:42:43 AM
I tend to use pretty much universally Shields hose - Shieldsflex 250 series for engine hoses, and all wire wound to keep it simple. If you're on the I supply side of a pump 250 is mandatory.

Me, too.  I agree with the simpler.  Trying to buy precut hoses makes little sense.  You can figure out what you need by measuring, and then get more for backup with at least one of the extras having a length being the longest replacement for next time - you can always cut it if you need it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Catalina007

Thanks it seems easy to figure out from the parts list
They even state 'wire flex'  where needed
-  mostly 7/8 ID for raw water   and they give the lengths required

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Catalina007 on November 23, 2020, 03:19:32 PM
Thanks it seems easy to figure out from the parts list
They even state 'wire flex'  where needed
-  mostly 7/8 ID for raw water   and they give the lengths required

Trust but verify.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Catalina007

Interesting none of the hoses currently on the big are wire
But who knows what happened over the last 35 years.
They look original but could have been changed 25 years  ago.