Head Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

burner

1988 model Catalina 34, hull number 553.  I'm replacing the head this weekend.  The old original one was just beginning to be a weekly experience, and rather than continually tinker with it, I decided to replace the whole darn thing.  Has anyone done this?  I'm trying to figure out how to get access under the floor to remove existing bolts as well as place the new ones.  I suppose that I could use lag screws, but would rather use a thru-bolt to make more secure.  Yes Stu, I did a search and was able to find only a comment or two about this.

captaingary

I replaced my Jabsco manual head with the Jabsco Quiet Flush. Mounting holes lined up with the exception of the extra 2 bolts off to the side. I just put shorter bolts back into those holes.
Gary Schneider
Windmill #1231
Long Beach  CA

Stu Jackson

Access Under Head

Steve,

I don't know of any access under the head.  The lag bots are what we have, too.  You may want to consider epoxying the holes and redrilling them for your new head.  Obviously, the easiest thing to do is replace it with the same head, so the hoses and bolt holes are in the same place.  Based on the cost of the "repair" kits, it is usually a good investment to replace the whole thing after this many years.

Thanks for the search message :)  As I recall, there hasn't been much on this topic over the years.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dave davis

Steve, I replaced my head for the same reasons you mention. I had tried all the repair kits. I'm glad that I replaced the entire head and got the latest design from Par. My old head has lag bolts and I used the same lag bolts for the new head. I did however find that one of the bolts felt stripped. So I painted the side walls of the hole with epoxy and let it set up overnight. That worked very well and now they are all nice and tight. Good Luck... :rolleyes:
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Tom Soko

Steve,
You might want to consider the Raritan PHII as a replacement.  Not an exact replacement, but very close. I replaced the OEM head as soon as I started having prolems, and have never been happier. Practical Sailor rated them highly a few years ago.  Never clogs, and only needs a rebuild kit every other year.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

rdavison

I also just replaced my Jabsco with a new one.  I had developed a crack at the top of the pump cylinder.  New cylinder kit was $99, new head was $119.  Many times you can find the Jabsco head for arund $100 on sale.  After rebuilding them a few times, I just replace the whole thing every 3 or 4 years.  Life's too short...

Randy Davison  k7voe

Mark Wey

I agree 100% with Randy. But don't forget this is a good time to replace the black water hoses as well.

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Tom Glennon

SlowDance here from Buzzards Bay, Hull # 354, 1987 vintage... I have a Groco Head, seems original to the boat, although I did do a rebuild as soon as I bought her last year.  My question is... has any of you ou there replaced the Groco head?  And if so... with what replacement?  Any and all comments welcomed!   :cool:
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts