Lewmar Portholes

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Stich

I just bought a 1989 Catalina 34 and have 2 Lewmar portholes (not hatches) that leak.  Does anyone have experience with stopping leaks on this model porthole?

Any recommendations you could make would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Frank

Mike Smith

Hi Frank -

This worked for me: Clean Them.  I know it sounds too simple, but if you open up a porthole from inside your boat and look up at the outside face of the lens where it seals against the frame, there may be an accumulation of grime almost as thick as a gasket.  After I cleaned it off and closed the porthole, it doesn't leak anymore. Go figure!

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Frank Stich

Mike/Jan,

Thanks for the quick reply.  We tried cleaning the glass and the seal, but they still leak.  One of the dogs has about 1/16" of play in it.  I'm thinking the whole plexiglass piece and dogs need to be replaced.

Frank

Mike Smith

Frank -

Try this thread for some more information

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=661602911

Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

dpenz

It is possible to replace the gasket as well as the o-rings inside the latches.  You can get the gasket part number from Lewmar, and then order gaskets from BoatUS special order desk.  The o-rings are a standard metric size.

I recommend just getting gasket material, rather than gaskets made to size.  The reason is that when I ordered six gaskets, I received three that were correct, but the other three were too large.  It is a simple matter to cut the material to length and super-glue the ends together.

I still have one portlight that continues to leak, even with new gasket and o-rings.

By the way, be sure to get the proper cross section gasket.  The older style has approximately 1/4" bead, the new style about 3/8" bead.  My hull #629 uses the old style.

David Penz

Brad Colon

During a rain storm I discovered that a small piece of white pipe thread tape will work when wrapped underneath the round black plastic piece which protrudes through the plexiglass. This is only a temporary fix until you replace the o-rings. But it is invisible and beats having rain drip in.
Lewmar by the way, will only sell a complete rebuild kit. The o-rings may take care of the problem with out doing a complete rebuild.
1994 CAPTIVATED # 1285

John Gardner

If you can get to an August 2003 copy of "Yachting Monthly", there is an article about repair of Lewmar portlights on a 1989 Dehler, using Lewmar input.  Yachting Monthly has a web site, but I couldn't turn up the article there - maybe the magazine is too recent.  Also the "spares" tab at www.lewmar.com looks as though it would be helpful.
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Might consider removing the covers over the screws on the dogs (you'll have to use a very small, thin screwdriver to pop them out).  This will allow you to tigthen them up.  After rebuilding all of our portlights, we left the covers off to simplify future maintenance.

Cheers,

Mike Vaccaro
"Spirit" '88 Hull 563

Stu Jackson

Beckson or Lewmar ?????

And I thought that the OLD white Beckson's were a problem.

Al Watson's fix made me glad we bought a Good Old Boat.

Just kidding.....

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

captran

I'm ready to switch ports!  We've owned Voyager for three+ years.  ports are always leaking.  we've cleaned the gaskets.  sealed the three holes under the clamp mechanism, sealed around the top of the ports on the outside, put extra sealant uner the gaskets and even just sealed the outside of the ports so that they don't open.  water still seems to finds its way inside, expecially after a rough passage when there's alot of spray.  One thing I have not done is pulled the covers off the latches.  I tried, but wouldn't seem to budge and I didn't want to force something I didn't have a diagrahm for, not knowing it was suppose to give.  I give up.