Galley Sink Cabinet Floorboard

Previous topic - Next topic

rmjohns

I've recently purchased a 1998 model and one of my first tasks has been tackling fouls smells in the cabin. I've completely taken out the head, holding tank and all associated hoses. That has helped.  I still get a strong odor when I open the sink cabinet.  If I look down under the floorboard that holds the pumps, I can see a little bilge created by a stringer and there is a lot of standing water behind that stringer. It looks like there is a weep hole in the stringer, but due to the angle of the hole, it can hold a good bit of water before it gets to the weep hole.

Is that floorboard removable if I disconnect all the pumps? It looks like it goes up under the icebox and then forward to the battery box? I want to be able to get in there and scrub it clean.  I imagine I can't redrill the weep hole to be lower without exposing the stringer internals to water but I'm considering adding a third leg to the sump pump to drain that little bilge on demand.

Thanks
Rob,
1998 Catalina 34 MKii
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

dfloeter

I don't know about the sump but the floor piece on my 1996 extends from the galley area all the way under the battery boxes.   Leaking antifreeze from bad connections at the water heater rotted the floor under the battery boxes and I cut it out and refastened a new floor under the existing piece left over in the galley.  Going the other way and removing the galley cabinet floor I don't think I would even want to start moving plumbing if it could be avoided.   Just my experience.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

rmjohns

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I'll have to get in there with a bottle scrubber and clean what I can.  I can see that running new fresh water lines under there is going to be a challenge as well.

Thanks
Rob,
1998 Catalina 34 MKii
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC