How to lube throttle/shift cables?

Previous topic - Next topic

Breakin Away

Hi all,

I'd like to lubricate my throttle and shift cables, but don't see anything in the manual. What lubricant is recommended? What are the lube points? How do you remove the compass to gain access to the ends that are in the pedestal?

I'm sure someone has written this up somewhere, but haven't been able to find anything except a picture in the Wiki. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

KWKloeber

BA

The recommendation IS in the manual.  The Edson manual.
https://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Catalina_34
Under <steering>.

If the cable end is straight and you can pull it inside and push it back out w/o catching you can clean/lube the entire length (extracate it from the cable sheath.)  If the wire needs attention you do not want to leave anything on it will dry sticky over time or attack the cable sheath (like a petroleum product.)  If you read the Westerbeke Service Bulletin (in the<Manuals>) on lubricating the panel key switch, the same warning would apply to a cable. 

I know how to remove my C-30 compass/pedestal head but unless I saw a picture I woldn't guess at yours.  I can't imagine that this has not been written up on the forum, wiki, or tech talk????   Did you search from the main page site for "compass"?

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

PS: I just uploaded the Ritchie Parts and Service Manual to the wiki <Manuals> page.
https://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Catalina_34
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Breaking : I've always used the thinnest oil I could find like 3:1 oil in that small can.  I was able to easily squirt in a few drop at a time and still make sure that I didn't drip any oil on the Wheel Break friction band (VERY IMPORTANT)!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788