water in bilge

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

did you have to get the hoses from a marine store or automotive?
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

anaisdog

Ken, what are those hoses for that are running into the bilge?  and how many keel bolts should i expect when i drain it?  i'll be back to my boat and take pictures next tuesday.  thanks

Ron Hill

Anais : Those "other hoses" that run into the bilge are 1. the emergency manual bilge pump hose 2. the electric bilge pump hose.

The scupper hose is the same size as the exhaust hose (which you probably?) need to change!!

A few thoughts   :shock:
Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog

i know they are verigated plastic hoses but i'm not certain where it starts but ends in the bilge.  i'll take pictures when i'm there next week. 

anaisdog

and I didn't see the hose(s) listed in the manual.

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on October 10, 2019, 10:13:04 AM
Ken, what are those hoses for that are running into the bilge?  and how many keel bolts should i expect when i drain it?  i'll be back to my boat and take pictures next tuesday.  thanks

becki
Sorry bout late reply, I am not getting all posts emailed to me. I can't seem to fix that.

I used the wire wound exhaust hose but on the 30 the angle of and short distance between the fittings makes it A BEAR OF A PITA to get on new hoses. It's not a job for the faint of heart and some have used non-wire, and the corrugated hose for easier bends to work it onto the fittings. Another (pic below) just removed the cockpit fitting to get the hose on and then back together. I don't know how bad the job is on the 34, but that's 3 hose options you have if it's as tight as ours are.  You can also use silicone exh hose.  It's easier if you grind the barbs off the fittings, warm the hose, lube it, etc. Again I don't know how difficult they are/the job is on the 34 MK-1.

Pics of your bilge will help ID any hoses.

I have 7 keel bolts, see pic (not my boat) I dunno bout the 34.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog

thanks Ken, i'll take pictures next tuesday when i'm home and after I've dried the bilge so you can see what they are for.

Ron Hill

Becki : FYI, the factory used Exhaust hose for the scuppers in the 1988 production. 
I'll guess that's probably their standard for early C34 production?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog

i'll take pictures and post.  thanks!

Jon W

I remembered this post while at my 1987 MK 1 today. I counted 9 keel bolts. If you have the OEM setup, there will be two hoses. A 1 1/2" white corrugated hose that goes to the manual bilge pump in the aft cockpit locker then to a thru hull in the transom, and a 1 1/8" hose from the electric bilge pump also to a thru hull in the transom.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Geoffreykwright

If you still have not identified the source of the leak, one thing I have done in the past is put a line of paper towel around the top rim of the bilge - eventually it will become damp in one place - at least it points you in the direction of the leak...and if it does not get damp then its coming from somewhere lower in the boat (i.e. keel boats, thru hull etc).  Its helped me locate leaks in my fresh water system.  Hope it helps.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Geoffreykwright on October 16, 2019, 12:31:21 PM

a line of paper towel

becki, as well, another trick is to sprinkle baby powder on the hull in suspect locations or draw lines using sidewalk chalk (as a telltale as to where unwanted water flows across locations.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on October 17, 2019, 09:02:16 PM
Quote from: Geoffreykwright on October 16, 2019, 12:31:21 PM

a line of paper towel

becki, as well, another trick is to sprinkle baby powder on the hull in suspect locations or draw lines using sidewalk chalk (as a telltale as to where unwanted water flows across locations.)

Smells nicer, but harder to clean up.   :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog

picture one

anaisdog

picture 2.