Full Batten Main

Previous topic - Next topic

ran stolze

I need a new main sail. Can anyone explain the benefits of a full batten as opposed to partial batten configeration? I recently installed a lazy jack system which I am told can be a hang-up problem with the full batten sail.

rxc

We installed a Doyle Stack-Pack full batten main two years ago, with lazy jacks, and don't have any problem with it getting hung up on the lazy jacks.  We just take our time raising the sail.  The Stack-Pack sail cover is quite nifty.

The full battens help keep the sail full and in a nice airfoil shape, even if you backwind it a bit.

Also, you can't use full battens with an in-mast furling system. ;)

Ralph Caruso
s/v "On y va"  C34#777 Ches.Bay/Magothy

Stu Jackson

Lazy Jacks & Mainsails

Ran,

Regardless of the type of mainsail you have, unless you are super careful, as Ralph mentioned, the leech of your sail CAN get hung up.  Most lazy jacks systems should have enough line to allow you to de-deploy them, and even bring both sides up to the mast.  We have done this with our lazy jack system, and can sail without the lazy jacks out, while they are collected at the mast on cleats.  We have found, however, that it is simpler (and just less work) to only temporarily tie one side off when raising the main, and making sure that the wind is coming a bit off the bow from the other side than the lazy jacks are in the "off" poisition.  A soon as the sail is up, when cruising, we just release the lazy jacks.  When racing, we keep them both at the mast.

Re full batten mains: we have one, and enjoy it for better overall sail shape.  We also hve Harken cars and a mast track, which seem to me to be necessary because of the extra weight of the full battens.  It would seem that they would put an awful lot of stress on just sail slugs in the existing mast track, although I'd bet many owners have full battens without the harke (or other brands available) track and cars.  I'd suggest you do some searching on sailmakers websites to get more detailed information on the benefits and drawbacks of full battened mainsails (i.e., Doyle, Pineapple, North, etc.)

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paul Erb

Go to this months issue of Mainsheet Catalina is having a sale on their sails from their loft.

Or try North Sails they are very good here in Jersey the guys come to your boat measure for you and tune your rig.

Paul
Yachta Yachta Yachta (#1634)

Gene Regan

hi paul ,
wher in new jersey are north sails. i currently
in cape may and will be moving to barnegat in the fall to winter in mariners or ted and sons on forked river.
looking at possible new main and genoa andalso will have stick down for work to it and will need it retuned thanks
gene regan 713 freedom

gene regan

Ran139

Gene,

North Sails has a loft on rt.34 in Wall Township.
   See you in Forked River!

Ran

Gene Regan

Hi Yall
Thanks Ron,
By the way , where on the river are you, i have friends at captains in , tall oaks and state marina
Thanks for the info
Gene

gene regan

Paul Erb

Gene,

Yes North is in Wall and maybe see you in Mariners which you must already know it is one marina that is an exclusive sailboat marina.

We have been in it for 15 years and love it here.

You will like Barnegat too lived here for 23 years.