Single to double reefing line

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hello all,
Has anyone ever converted the stock single line reefing set up on a MkII to a double line.  One line for the clew and another for the tack.  Reason I ask is because the single line set up doesn't seem to do a good job, especially for the tack.  The sail bunches up in that area and the line binds the sail at that point.  I can't get the tack close in toward the boom.  Do I need to take out the sail stop in the mast groove so the slides can move to the lowest point?

Thanks!
Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ted Pounds

Roc,

As I recall on my C25 I had to take the bottom slide out of the track for the first reef to work ( I never used the second reef, if it was that bad I stayed home).  With the halyard good and tight having the bottom slide out wasn't a problem.  That said, my C34 is set  up like Ron's with a SS hook (I think that's basically the same as Ron's "pig-tail") for the tack.  My reef line for the clew is led to a stopper at the front of the boom.  That means to reef I have to go to the base of the mast after easing the halyard - a little more work than single line from the cockpit.  Another option I've heard of to make the single line work better is to attach blocks to the tack and the clew reefing cringles and run the reefing line through the blocks instead of through the cringles.  That reduces the friction and pulls the tack past the slide(s) still in the track.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Double Line Reefing

Roc,

Yes, we do have it, and we love it, for exactly the same reasons you mention.

Either do a "find" on my posts, or send me a mail at sec@c34.org and I'll find my write up about it.

Basically, the clew "needs" more tension on the line than the tack, and double line does it.

Our clew lines run trhough the boom.

Stu

PS

try this too:  http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=850609811&r=950609811#950609811

PPS  you have already tried a FIND on reefing, right?  I think you'll find it ALL there.

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on August 03, 2003 at 07:21 PM.]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."