Stuffing Box & Packing
The purpose of a stuffing box is to keep water from entering the boat thru the hole that a shaft (prop, rudder) exits the boat. Which is better, a traditional stuffing box or a dripless replacement?
- Dripless Packing Installation Q&A including advice on re-packing while in the water
- How to repack the Stuffing box – by Stu Jackson
- How warm is too warm? (takes you to the Message Board)
- [*What size stuffing for newer boats? (takes you to the Message Board) What size stuffing for newer boats?] (takes you to the Message Board)
- PYI Dripless Shaft Seal (takes you to the PYI site; not an endorsement of either the product or retailer)
- Stuffing Box Comparison
- Tools to make the job easier
Rudder Packing Gland
- Information can also be found on the Edson web site. Edson Marine
Also of Interest
There are over a dozen Tech Notes on prop, shaft and the stuffing box for both the shaft as well as the rudder.