Port side clutch mounting

Previous topic - Next topic

NewToTheRoad

I am considering adding a triple clutch to the port side cabin top, where my boat currently has nothing other than a winch and a cleat.  A few questions for those that might have done this?  Do I need a pad for the cabin top, similar to the teak one on the starboard side, or can I mount directly on the top?  Also, do I need any sort of backing plate below?

My intended use is for Jib halyard, Spare jib halyard, Boom topping lift.

I found this one post where it looks like they were mounted to the top - http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8607.msg61003.html#msg61003

Thanks,
  Bryan
Lori & Bryan
1988 C34, M25XP, Std Rig, Fin Keel - Hull # 697
Portsmouth, RI

Stu Jackson

Bryan,

You could mount them directly on the non-skid, but two issues come to mind:  (1) waterproofing, especially if you don't have a dodger; (2) comfort - if they are lower than the hatch fore&aft wood trim it could be uncomfortable.  That's why most of us have them raised at least to that level.  Waterproofing can be done with butyl tape.

The load on the through bolts is in shear for clutches.  I installed mine with fender washers down below, been OK for the past 19 years.  Others will recommend backing plates of different materials.

Your boat, your choice.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

Hi Bryan,

I added new triple clutches to both the Port and Stbd sides of the companionway as part of a rig upgrade. Lines running to the cockpit thru clutches are -

Port side - Main sheet, boom vang, 3rd reef line
Stbd side - Main halyard, 1st reef line, 2nd reef line

The clutches are mounted to the cabin top using 1/4" SST bolts that go thru the clutch, teak spacer, cabin top and into the cabin. I made new teak spacers for Port and Stbd sides similar to the original. The new clutch is mounted partially on the companionway trim and on the new teak spacer. I did this because I wanted a straight line from the deck organizer and fairlead attached to the traveler to the clutch. Inside the cabin I used ~ 1/4" thick teak cut to match the head door jam, large SST washers, hex nuts and acorn nuts.

FYI - I have three additional single clutches mounted to the mast. One each for the jib halyard, spinnaker halyard, and whisker pole topping lift.

Port side photo's attached.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Bryan : I added a double clutch on the port side and made a piece of teak (triple angle!) like the starboard side for the clutch to set on.  One bolt went thru the deck and is secured with a fender washer and a lock-washer, nut and acorn nut.  The second bolt couldn't be uses as the top of the head door trim prevented it from going thru so I used a long wood screw in to that trim.  It has held for 30 years

The spinnaker halyard and jib halyard go thru the clutch.  The spare jib halyard is secured to the cleat.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

NewToTheRoad

Thanks for the tips and pics.  Some nice options.  I do have a dodger and plenty of butyl from mainesail.  I guess what I will do is purchase the clutch and play around with what works best.
B
Lori & Bryan
1988 C34, M25XP, Std Rig, Fin Keel - Hull # 697
Portsmouth, RI