Mast unstepping - silly question

Previous topic - Next topic

sailr4

I have never removed a keel stepped mast, so,excuse my ignorance. After the mast is removed, how do you seal the deck hole? Need more than a tarp if the boat gets moved across the country.
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Phil Spicer

To cover the hole I cut a piece of vinyl that is about 2 inches larger than the outside of the deck fitting. Hold the vinyl in place with the clamp that seals the bottom of the mast boot. This has made it through heavy storms before the winter cover was on.
     Just my solution.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Noah

Or, duct tape some sheet vinyl/tarp material, or plywood, over the hole.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

The guys around  here cut 2 pieces of plywood and use carriage bolts and wingnuts thru both to hold in place.  Some use weather stripping to seal up tight and some sealer on the top of the carriage bolts.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

DaveBMusik

A spare piece of shrinkwrap lying around
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Ron Hill

Rob : Phil has the best solution.
Now is also the time to think about a new mast boot and some new (slightly larger) mast wedges.  I went for 6 rather than 4.  Just make sure they are made out of hard wood.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Rob : I'm sure you have things well in hand - just a reminder that there is a set of instructions on "Removing/reinstalling a keel stepped mast" in the Mainsheet tech notes!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Some good suggestions, just remember it's ~3,000 mile trip so pick something with the best odds of being there at the end of the trip.

All comes down to time and money. When the mast is down it's a good time to check that the internal conduit is secure and maybe add a few extra rivets, check the masthead sheaves, the hardware for a spinnaker (whether or not you have a spinnaker), and condition of your anchor light.

Good upgrades are an LED anchor light or go for a combination tri-color and anchor light, also consider LED spreader lights. If you do the tri-color remember you can't have the OEM deck level nav lights and the tri-color on at the same time. I have a breaker for the OEM deck level and a separate breaker for the tri-color. The idea is use the tri-color in the ocean and the deck level navigation lights in the harbor/bay (stole this idea from Noah).
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Roc

If you need to temporarily seal a hole from the elements and make it water/weather proof, use Gorilla tape.  If the hole is large and you need to drape plastic over it, use Gorilla Tape to secure the edges of the plastic.  Duct tape will not work outdoors. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

sailr4

Lots of great ideas.  Thank you.  As for Gorilla tape, I am currently using it to hold plastic over my fixed port during repair.  Strong stuff!!

Rob
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

rmbrown

I second the addition rivets in the conduit.  IF it's still attached to the mast... mine had rivets every 4'... I'd put 'em every 2, at least in the center 1/3 of the mast.  It's gonna be WAY easier than replacing it. :)
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC