Tips installing aft cabin Beckson port gaskets

Previous topic - Next topic

Switchback

Quote from: Stu Jackson on June 13, 2018, 04:50:54 PM
The only ports I've fiddled with are in the V berth and saloon.  My inventory shows:

Ports: gaskets   9-Mar-05   Beckson   GK-512   $45.15    (6) gaskets for ports 203-333-1412

Don't know if that's a phone number or a part number extension of the GK-512.

My aft cabin two are the same size.

Any reason you went to CD instead of Beckson or did you check both?

Hi Stu,

Beckson wanted to charge me $21 for shipping whereas CD charged $10. Simple as that!

Hopefully the GK-512 size will fit all beckson ports aft and forward. I'll report back once installed.
S/V Switchback

Susan Ray

Aloha,
Read this and installed...how do I back off the dogs?  Looks like they are not adjustable.
Thanks
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Jon W

If your asking how to adjust the white plastic cam that you flip up or down to seal the port closed, on mine the white plastic cam is threaded onto a metal t-bolt. Rotate the white plastic cam clockwise or counterclockwise to increase or decrease the pressure against the port.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jon W on August 20, 2018, 02:31:54 PM
If your asking how to adjust the white plastic cam that you flip up or down to seal the port closed, on mine the white plastic cam is threaded onto a metal t-bolt. Rotate the white plastic cam clockwise or counterclockwise to increase or decrease the pressure against the port.

What I do is rotate the cam before I latch it.  I have a mix of the old simpler screw handles plus some of the cams.  They operate differently.  I try not to rotate the cams after they latch.

Beckson shows how to on their website.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

Agree. The adjustment is done before latching.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

DaveBMusik

For future reference, Defender has the 5 x 12 gaskets for $8.99. If you are in the Northeast, you can always pick up in person.
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|6880|2290158|2290164&id=3464731

Regarding leaks, I have had no problems with mine after replacing/rebedding them last year. I didn't go to the trouble of fitting them and trimming the protruding exterior frame but just drilled a hole in the "gutters" close to the trim ring. This greatly diminishes the amount of water left next to the gasket.

Also, make sure to clean the window surface before closing them. Try to compress the gasket as little as possible to increase longevity.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

anaisdog

if i've replaced two gaskets and they are still leaking, (port side), is it worth trying to rebed again or buy new again? 
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

anaisdog

Jon W

The screens are installed between the gasket and the plastic frame. To remove you should be able to lift them up and out from behind the gasket. The gasket does not need to be removed to do this.

The screens need to be installed and in good condition for the ports to seal properly. My screen frames were in pieces. When you remove the screens, check the frame of the screen to see if they're in good condition with no cracks. Also check nothing else is between the gasket and plastic port frame.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

anaisdog

then yeah, i need new screens.  my gaskets are only a few years old and 2 of the 8 are leaking like mad

thanks