Adler Barbour Cooling Fan

Previous topic - Next topic

SV Pretty Lady

Hello all. There is an old Adler Barbour cold machine unit on my boat. It was not working when I bought the boat. I replaced the thermostat and it works. It cools pretty well, with a thin layer of frost on the evaporator (it has developed an iceberg on one of the corners). I felt the compressor yesterday and it was pretty warm, but not hot. I could keep my hand on it without any pain from heat. I cleaned the fins off and tried to remove all of the dust from the unit.

It sits next to the aft water tank, way down in there, and it is hard to get to because my propane tank is mounted right above it, leaving a small space to squeeze in and try to clean the unit from dust and debris.

Noises: I hear gurgling and occasionally slight hissing in the lines running from the unit to the fridge box. Hissing not so much, but gurgling quite often. I hear it now as I am typing this.

When I replaced the thermostat, I put the wires back on exactly how they were on the old one. The knob is worn out, so I really don't know how high I have it. I turned it to the left, then moved it to what I think is the middle....maybe around 5. Ever since it has been revived, the fan runs continuously. It wasn't noticeable at first, but it has become louder, and I can hear it anywhere on the boat.

My question is: is the fan supposed to run continually 24/7? I would think it would cycle on and off.

I tried to describe the best I could and attached a picture. Thanks for any help.
1988 Catalina 34
Universal diesel

patrice

Hi,
The fan should not be running all the time, but run with compressor.

If you search on the net for danfoss BD 24v manual, you will find a pdf file.

I found it before.?
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

SV Pretty Lady

Thank you. I will do a search on the info you gave me.
1988 Catalina 34
Universal diesel

DaveBMusik

Check and make sure the temperature probe from the thermostat is contact with the evaporator. It should be in a U shape and in direct contact with the evaporator.
I just had a similar problem. The sensor had come off and would not cycle properly.
I believe this is the original thermostat witht he temperature sensor, just reuse the same enclosure.
https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|2276179|2276204|2276226|2276232&id=3811869
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

fatamorgana

I have the same problem.  I replaced the thermostat, but still runs all the time.  And, I have verified the thermostat tube loop is correct, attached correctly, and the tube is not touching the evaporator at any point.  PO placed the compressor in the closet behind nav station.  I found if I have another fan in there that blows the warm air out of the closet, it will cycle correctly.  Seems it gets too warm in the closet and it needs to continue running the fan to cool the compressor. 

If you provide more air flow to the space your compressor sits, does that help?
1988 C34 wing keel, standard rig

Ron Hill

SV : The fan should only run when the compressor is running and maybe for a few minutes after it shuts off to cool it down.

Also look on line and you'll find a battery operated fan for inside the fridge to circulate the air!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

SV Pretty Lady

I didn't have the U shape in the sensor wire, so I fixed it. Still runs constantly. I'll get a fan to put in aft lazarette to see if it helps. And get a smaller one for fridge.
1988 Catalina 34
Universal diesel