Replacing the sanitary hose between the head and the holding tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffreykwright

Hi - my hull (1494) was built in 2000 and I am not sure whether the sanitary hose between the head and tank has ever been replaced.  I've heard they degrade over time and can contribute to that 'head smell' below deck.  I am planning on replacing it.  Is this fairly straight forward?  Looks to be.  Does anyone know off-hand how much hose I will need to replace it?  I'd rather do it all in one go rather than to pull the old hose to measure how much i need.  (...and I will pump out before doing this :-).  Thanks in advance.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Dale Stone

Hello
I replaced mine on a 2001 MKII. Access was reasonable and I added a vented loop. Not sure the vented loop was necessary as it was not standard, but decided to add it after reading many discussions. I haven't had a chance to use it yet and hope my manual head can pump through the loop and into the tank.
There is a test you can do that gives a good indication about hose permeation and the smell level. Probably not a bad idea to replace a 18 year old stink hose though.
Dale Stone 2001 C34 II, Hull #1526, Salem Ma

rmbrown

I just ordered my hose.  After reading several threads on here where 10' was either enough, or not quite enough, I ordered 12'.  A little less than $10/foot from defender for the Trident Sani 102 1-1/2.  I also got a couple feet of the 1" having read (but can't remember and too far from boat to check) that it's 1" hose from the macerator to the thru-hull.
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Fred Koehlmann

When we replaced the holding tank in our C34 MKII, we also replaced all the hoses and redirected the vent. The hose from the head originally did a strange route going aft from the toilet, then turned under the sink area and looped back forward behind the head and then the nav table down to the tank. I think it was some crazy length like 12 - 14 feet. I cut a new hole behind the toilet and sent the pipe straight back and up towards the port side and then down behind the nav table to the tank under the settee. I think I got the hose length to be like only 8 feet or less. Less hose also means less sh!t potentially sitting in the hose (and less permeating in the future). Definitely, use the Trident Sani hoses. For venting, we redirected forward and up behind the forward berth's port closet (minimum 1" dia. hose).
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Roc

My hose was also directed like Fred explains.  Not sure why Catalina ran the hose like that.  As soon as I bought the boat, I redirected it, just like Fred did, just to shorten the length.  I kept the spare hose I cut down since it was brand new hose.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD