connecting bilges

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

my '89 C34 has four bilge compartments, 1 forward of the mast, three aft of the mast step.  the first three compartments are all connected via pipes cut in the stringers.  the aft most bilge is not.  the only way water can get from the aft bilge is when i reaches a very large cutout meant for the bilge pump (manual and auto) pipes to route through.  the hole is 3-4" from the bottom of the compartment.

is there a reason the compartments are not linked?  i'm presuming it's because the engine bay drains into the aft most bilge.  looks like there's a hole in the engine pan in the lower starboard side.  if that's true, would it be safe to assume this is a "safety" feature to keep from pumping oil overboard via the bilge?  if not, is it safe to drill another hole lower in the stringer for a connecting pipe?  the bilge hose cutout is ~3"

pictures
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Stu Jackson

That's the way mine is, has been for 32 years.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scgunner

Mine is the same too, it seems to work fine the way it is. But if you feel you need another hole, it's your boat. The only change I made mine was to block the hole from the engine pan to the bilge, if the engine drops oil I don't want it draining to the bilge and getting pumped over the side.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThe only change I made mine was to block the hole from the engine pan to the bilge

I did the same, only with tape.

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA