San Diego slips

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Laver

Hi Rob,
Another consideration is availability. Most marinas on Shelter Island and to a slightly lesser extent Harbor Island have long waitlists.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

sailr4

Thanks for the considerations.  Right now it is looking less and less likely that my boat will follow me to the west coast.  Quite cost prohibitive.
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

sailr4

I'm still going back and forth on selling or transport. Market is pretty dry for buyers around here. Same 5 boats have been sitting all summer. Does anyone have a recommendation for a boatyard in San Diego to transport to? Doesn't have to have a slip, as I can move to home berth after.

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Noah

"Boatyards" are a bit different out West. They are generally working yards, not storage yards. Unless you are having work done, other than unloading/commissioning/relaunch, you will have to pay lay days and they still would be reluctant to keep you on the hard. I would line-up a slip first. Boatyards on Shelter island are all good for unload destination and repair work; Driscoll's, Neilson Beaumont, Shelter Island Yacht Ways, Kohler Kraft...all good choices.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

I prefer Shelter Island Boat Yard when I need work done.

Noah makes some important points. If you're only looking for a place to remove from a trailer and put it in the water the yard may not matter as much as price and proximity to your new slip. Have you decided on an area that you want to look for a slip?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

sailr4

It's looking more likely that I'll move the boat. Probably late fall. Harbor island looks good, but need to check availability. It's the chicken and egg thing. Marinas want a date. Trucks need a destination.
BTW, do I need to strip off my ablative copper paint before I can go in California water?

Noah

I believe your paint would be ok. There is NOT a total "ban" on copper here. The yard will let you know for sure.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Kevin Henderson

WOW!! Small world sometimes.  I was just in Solomons MD last week for work! 
Regarding marinas.  If by chance you are active duty Military, retired, or GS you can get on the wait list for Fiddlers Cove Marina or Point Loma Sailing Center marina  The rates are far less expensive, but also far less amenities.  Fiddlers is between Coronado and Coronado Cays along the Silver Strand.  South bay sailing may be a bit shallow but generally, there is plenty of water and much less crowded.  It is a slog to get to the ocean.. just plan a nice full day of sailing. 
Point Loma Marina is wedged right bewteen Harbor Island and Shelter Island.  Ideal location.... But.... quite exposed to chop from passing boats.  I chose Fiddlers. 

https://sandiego.navylifesw.com/recreation/marinas

And..
Shelter Island Boatyard has always done well for me. 

Welcome (soon) to SD   8)
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

sailr4

Thanks Kevin. I've tried several times to contact fiddlers cove but no reply. Any idea what kind of wait list they have?

I'll miss Solomons.

Rob

Jon W

A few days ago I asked a broker I know for his suggestions. He said he'll get back to me but he's hurt his back so not sure when he'll get back to me. I'll post here when I do.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Jon W

I heard back from my broker friend. He gave a couple suggestions to think about -

1) Make sure the mover you choose has the proper insurance to cover your boat being transported, and ask for a copy of the documents to verify it is active and includes what you want to do.

2) Do not cancel your boat insurance when you pull the boat from the water and load it onto the movers vehicle. Keep your boat insurance active just in case. He also mentioned to let your insurance company know what your doing.

3) My broker said as an FYI they have a list of boat movers on their website - Yachtfinders/Windseakers.com.

4) He also recommends Shelter Island Boatyard and said if you decide to use them as the destination point, contact Wayne Morrison and ask him if he has any feedback on the boat mover you plan to use, or if they have a recommendation for a boat mover.

5) Remember you'll need a rigger when you get here to re-step the mast and attach the rigging. Schedule an appointment with them when your boat is to arrive in San Deigo so they are ready/available to do the work when you need them.

6) He said in his experience bottom paint doesn't travel well. He suggested that if you plan to have the bottom redone, do it in San Diego. If the yard you ship to in San Diego does the bottom paint, you may be able to negotiate a discount for the offloading fee or get lucky and have it waived altogether.

Good Luck.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

sailr4

Thanks Jon.  that's great information

sailr4

Just to follow up about moving to San Diego...  I moved out here at the start of the year. My boat sat in Maryland and patiently waited for me to get finances and details in order for the move.  On Monday, Winston Trucking (Mark Frazier) loaded her on to his truck and is currently en route to San Diego (Shelter Island Boat Yard).  I will have them paint the bottom and place the mast. I will do the rest of the rigging. Then it's over to California yacht marina in Chula Vista.  I'm really looking forward to getting on the water again. Perhaps I'll see some of you San Diegans around the Bay.

glennd3

Just out of curiosity,  if you don't mind, what is the ballpark price of moving the boat cross country?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

sailr4

truck was 10.7K + boatyard charges to load and unload.