Heat Exchanger end cap bolt washers - inside or outside?

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

Hello All,
I had my heat exchanger out for clean and painting. When I went to put her back together, I was questioning myself on whether the rubber sealing washers for the 3/8 bolts go on the inside of the plate or the outside. When I looked at the large rubber gasket between the HX body and end plate, there looked to be an indentation the size of the small screw washer so I put it there (on inside between gasket and HX body).
When I ran the engine for a quick start up, my attention went to a diesel leak at the injection pump bleed screw not the HX. Yesterday I noticed antifreeze under engine and I haven't had time to rerun and trace leak. Of course there is at least 4 other places for a coolant leak, just second guessing the bolt washer?
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Noah /Paul : The "O" ring /gasket for the bolt goes on the inside.  Just like Ken's Web Site picture shows.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

rmbrown

Inside being on the inside of the end cap and outside of gasket... Nice photo!
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Set2sea

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 05, 2018, 11:43:41 AM
Paul

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/heat_exchanger

-k
Great, that's the way I installed. I have pulled the exchanger at least a couple of times before and this is the first time I have had a leak was why I was second guessing that washer. Again, I haven't taken a good look at the 4 hose connections, probably needing a tighten here or there.
Thanks -k
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on June 05, 2018, 02:03:56 PM
Noah /Paul : The "O" ring /gasket for the bolt goes on the inside.  Just like Ken's Web Site picture shows.

A thought

Thanks to RC aka MaineSail aka Collins Marine aka Rod Collins photos.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

Sorry, Ken.  I missed it labeled in the first photo!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber