Replacement for fresh water tank shutoff valve?

Previous topic - Next topic

csimmerling

Hi all,
On my 1986 C34 the hoses from the 2 fresh water tanks meet at a Y connector just before the water pump under the galley sink area. Both have a shutoff valve to allow tank selection. One valve didn't survive winter - any suggestions for a good replacement? A ball valve would be better than this old style.
Thanks!
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

Ron Hill

csim : Look in the old Mainsheet tech Note articles and you'll find an article by Dave Ewing on his "Water Manifold" using ball valves in his 1986 C34.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Dave Spencer

CS,
A commonly available PVC ball valve with appropriate T fittings and hose barb adapters would do the trick. You could use brass but that would be overkill for the application and would certainly cost more. My 1994 boat has PVC ball valves. I'm not sure if it was OEM or if the PO updated it.
They look like this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.ball-valve-34-inch-pvc-threaded-schedule-40.1000425059.html

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Jon W

I replaced the original 1/2" gate valves with 1/2" ball valves (female threads) and nylon hose barbs from Home Depot. The valve has a brass body, a SST ball valve, and nylon seat. Only a few dollars and should last a very long time.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

kh3412

I am doing this project now and decided to go this way. Will install above lake water pump through cabinet side.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

Noah

I am confused. The Y valve should determine which tank the pump draws from. What is your need for a "shut-off" valve?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Dave Spencer

Hi Noah,
In the absence of a true Y valve, many boats, mine included have two ball valves that feed into a T which in turn feeds the suction side of the pump. To switch from tank to tank, one valve is "shut off" and the other is opened. 

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Stu Jackson

Our 1986 boat has a manifold under the sink with two plastic gate valves.  I replaced one gate valve with a metal hardware store valve because it was leaking.  The leak was from one of the O rings, which I replaced with a trip to ACE Hardware, and the old repaired valve sits as backup in one of my spares containers. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scgunner

Noah,

The shut off valves give you the choice of which tank you want to use otherwise the water from the aft tank just feeds the front one. I like to keep the aft tank full as long as possible on a cruise because on a mooring a partially full rear tank sloshes loudly when you're trying to sleep in the aft cabin.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

I have a simple Y valve that serves the same function. Turn handle one direction and it draws from aft tank. Turn it the other direction and it draws from starboard tank. No cross feed or gravity syphon issues. I did install a shutoff between the Y valve and the pump, so that I could remove to pump for servicing, without draing one tank.
Standard Rig

scgunner

Noah,

Sounds like a good idea. Did the Y-valve come as a stock installation with your boat? Mine came with two gate valves. I do like the simplicity of a single valve.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Standard Rig

kh3412

Doing this project now. Went with the directional valve mounted through the cabinet front under the sink. Need to make some labels.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

One advantage of having two shut off valves is that you can fill both tanks from the aft tank if both valves are open and you can also leave the aft tank full  and then fill the stbd tank when it runs out.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Noah

Standard Rig