Replacement for fresh water tank shutoff valve?

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on June 02, 2018, 03:08:54 PM
One advantage of having two shut off valves is that you can fill both tanks from the aft tank if both valves are open and you can also leave the aft tank full  and then fill the stbd tank when it runs out.

I fill both tanks from aft.  The deck fill cap is bigger.  Go figger...  I use the aft tank, starboard as reserve.

From a purely engineering perspective, having "dedicated" shut off valves for each tank for BOTH isolation (either/or) AND separation (both off), is a usual design criteria for even house plumbing systems.  The one thing about house plumbing systems that I detest (!!!) is no separate shutoff for showers and bathtubs.  Criminal, I say!

Your boat, your choice.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kh3412

Made some manifolds to get rid of all the plastic fittings for the water supply.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

Noah

Kh- what is the location of the tank in your photos? I am a bit confused at what I am viewing.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

kh3412

Noah
That's looking through the bottom false drawer. The tank is the hot water tank. I used a point of use tank
4 gallon as we are rarely on a hook. This way I don't have to deal with the loop from the engine. It's something
The Admiral and I discussed. She is fine with boiling water if she needs to.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

csimmerling

thanks everyone for your help! I ended up replacing both gate valves (and the extra hoses and clamps) with a simple 3-way PVC ball valve rated for pressurized systems. It was $20 online and is a much cleaner install that the previous setup, and much easier to use as well.
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY