Garboard plug install - 5200 or 4200?

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

What do you think - 5200 or 4200 for garboard plug flange with 3 #10 screws?
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Jim Hardesty

I'm not afraid of 5200.  I assume you mean the fitting and not the removable plug.  The plug is good with plumbers Teflon tape.  If you are sure you won't want to remove it and it's accessible uncase you do.  I've had good success removing metal fittings that were attached with 5200 using a medium duty heat gun.  I think 5200 is a good choice here.  The problem I've seen with garboard plugs is if the fitting isn't real secure, removing and replacing the plug works the bedding and it leaks.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

IIWMB, lead to bronze or s/s, I'd use 5200, but either would work.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Set2sea

I used 5200.
I was going to counter bore so that the 1/8" thick flange would be flush to hull but I didn't for two reasons. 1. It's pretty protected from a strike by the wing keel. And secondly, I didn't want to reduce the wall thickness for the 3 screws.
For plugs, the Perko unit came with what would be a little more of a flush plug with allen socket and then another with a square drive that sticks out of the flange more. I went with the square drive cause I thought the allen drive would be tough to get into with growth in it.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

KWKloeber

(Stick some butyl or beeswax or similar in the hex and dig it out or melt it before garboard-ing)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain