What is this part?

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailing48N

This part it leaking out water when the water pressure is on and the galley faucet is used. Any ideas what this is and what a current replacement part would be?
Russell & Lindsay
1986 Hull #154 - Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Tacoma, WA

kh3412

Check valve was looking for it myself and guess it's not made anymore.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

Sailing48N

Thanks, that actually helps a lot.
Russell & Lindsay
1986 Hull #154 - Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Tacoma, WA

KWKloeber

Russ

It's a shurflo CV so hot water doesmt back flow into the cold water lines when the pump pulls cold water. It's a necessary item in the water circuit.

That model (bolted together) was replaced by a plastic sonic? welded type CV. The old style could be serviced (somewhat) by unbolting and cleaning the rubber flapper. The new style "has no user serviceable parts inside". The new shurflo CANNOT be used in the WH application (shurflo warned that) it's not pressure rated and can explode.

Instead you use a Jabsco marine/RV water heater CV (may not be available any more) or I got a 1/2" Sharkbite 1/2" CV from Home Depot online, and used adapters to 1/2" hose barbs.

-k

ps. That same CV was also used on the Mk-I C30s to let air escape from the high spot in the closed coolant loop to the WH (port sail locker) and to allow coolant from the overflow tank to be sucked through it back into the engine. 
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

sailaway

Check valve took all mine out they rarely work properly. Not necessary in a Catalina 34 Charlie

KWKloeber

Quote from: sailaway on May 23, 2018, 01:27:22 PM
Check valve took all mine out they rarely work properly. Not necessary in a Catalina 34 Charlie

Okay, I'll bite. 
How is the water heater unique on a C-34, say compared to another boat or RV such that a CV is unnecessary?
A WH can develop 100 lbs pressure and hot water expands and therefore pushes back into the cold water supply line. What's unique about the 34?

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Russell : As said it's a one way check valve!!  There are newer ones made now.

BTW, you also have one on the shower drain hose.  However, you need a strainer on that line before the check valve or the fuzzy wxzzys & hair will clog the valve and you won't be able to drain all of the water after a shower.
Look in the Mainsheet tech notes and you'll find an article w/pictures that I wrote.  Easy to install!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788