Water under engine and where does it drain?

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Koehlmann

Also, with the dripless style, you need to be aware of the rubber's age and flexibility. As it ages the rubber gets harder and less flexible. I don't remember how often they need to be replaced, but you might want to check that out as well.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

SV Pretty Lady

I will get more pictures of the engine on Sunday when I am back on the boat. I will try to get better pictures of the shaft, too. My phone is old. Sorry for the poor quality.

The PO wiring leaves something to be desired....what a mess! Major mess.

I thought the shaft looked off. It leaks pretty bad when I motor somewhere. Sitting at the dock, it drips a little. The out of alignment makes me feel pretty uneasy. Is this a difficult repair?
1988 Catalina 34
Universal diesel

Noah

I am not a expert on PSS dripless shaft seals however, I do know if the bellows fails (rubber tears/cracks or becomes unattached) it will flood the boat and could sink you. I would have someone "knowledgeable" take a look at it before you go motoring. At the least, download and read the system's manual to understand how it should work and how to maintain it.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

SV Pretty Lady

The shaft seal unit is very loose. I barely touched it and it moved, which allowed water to spew in. Almost like the shaft fell off because i could easily move it up and down. I managed to get it back to a drip and had the marina order a PYI unit for my shaft size. Waiting on the part. Hope to get it fixed ASAP.

1988 Catalina 34
Universal diesel

KWKloeber

SV,

One of the possible issues is the shaft log. 
Sometimes there isn't enough free length to get a good purchase on and the best seal on the log. 

I can't say whether that's a "sometimes" on the C34, but on the C30, the fiberglass at the hull has to ground down a little to get more clearance to fully slip a correct log hose onto the log, instead of using plain'ole water hose.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

SV Pretty Lady

More pics of the engine..
1988 Catalina 34
Universal diesel

KWKloeber

Your model is right there = M-25XP 
s/n 501070 (as best I can read from on an angle.)

More pics if you have any other questions or need more "diagnosis".   :D

MORE:
I don't know what you have going on there w/ the low oil pressure switch, not the OEM configuration.  Maybe someone installed a Tee fitting or an elbow to turn it sideways?

Someone did some rewiring, but they didn't know ABYC code.  Don't know what the YELLOW is to the 12v positive "B" (battery) post on the starter solenoid.  Yellow is an alternate color for negatives, shouldn't be on the solenoid except to the "S" (start) terminal, and then it should be yellow/red stripe (color for a start circuit.)

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

SV Pretty Lady

KW....The wiring is a mess, everywhere. I'll clean it up once I get the other issues sorted out. I think my boat had 3 owners before me, so somewhere along the line, someone installed many little gauges and gadgets, but didn't clean up the wiring in the process. I'll post pics of the the nav station and the back of the control panel (stay seated for that picture haha).
1988 Catalina 34
Universal diesel

SV Pretty Lady

nav station pictures and back of the panel
1988 Catalina 34
Universal diesel

KWKloeber

Typical Seaward wire bird's nest!
Probably some loose crimp terminals. 

Your small gauge leads off the battery selector are incorrect. Heavy lugs/loads always go on connections first, followed by successively lighter terminals/loads.

k

Jon W

I thought the wiring behind my main panel was disorganized. You have a lot more gadgets than I do. Amazing it all fits back there.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

SV Pretty Lady

Thanks KW. I will take care of the gauge leads this weekend.

lol Jon mine is a mess. I've got wires hanging everywhere
1988 Catalina 34
Universal diesel