Location, location

Previous topic - Next topic

Breakin Away

During the season I keep my boat at Rock Hall Landing in the main harbor. We still do a fair amount of daysailing, and it's closer to the Bay so it eliminates the 25 minute motor each way out of/into Swan Creek. It's also a little less pricey than Haven Harbour, and has a decent pool for cooling off. It also gets a nice breeze most evenings, coming right over the breakwater from the prevailing southwesterly direction. On the downside, it can get a little noisy on Saturday nights with the nearby restaurants. Usually we're anchored out somewhere on Saturdays.

We've chartered out of Haven Harbour, and it is a beautiful property, and might have more things of interest to young children if that concerns you. Like Rock Hall Landing, Haven Harbour South (formerly Sailing Emporium) is close to the noisy restaurants. It is bound to be spruced up (and prices raised) by the new owners. The major downside is that it's much more remote from the town by road. We like walking into town from the marina, which makes Rock Hall Landing, North Point (another one worth considering), or Haven Harbour better located than Haven Harbour South IMO. It's still an easy drive into town, or you can take bicycles (available from most marinas) or the town tram.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Roc

I personally like the motor from Swan Creek into the open bay. It takes 30 minutes max. Not a big deal. The main reason I don't mind is that it gets the diesel working hard. The worse thing for the engine is short time motoring.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

crieders

Rock Hall seems ideal but someone told me to check out Elk River area as closer to Phila
I did not see that as having any marinas.
Any knowledge on Elk river vacinity?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Breakin Away

Does that someone own a sailboat? Elk River has strong currents and skinny water on both sides. There are a few marinas, but if you look at the charts you won't see enough water for a sailboat to get into them. I dropped my fishing boat in at Triton Marina about 25 years ago with my wife and two kids, and overheated the outboard on the way back to the trailer ramp because the motor sucked in so much silt. I had to jump in and push the boat back to the ramp, wading through 2 feet of muck up to my balls. Oh, and it was Father's Day.  :cry4`

Prevailing wind is from the south in the summer, so be prepared to do a lot of motoring to where it opens up at Turkey Point, especially if you're against the current. And even once you get to Turkey Point, you'll still have to beat against the prevailing wind to the south.

Bohemia is off the Elk River. I mentioned it in my prior post. I used to love it in my C250. I tried to get my C34 in there a few weeks ago to anchor overnight while transiting the canal, and I ran aground. And in the fall, when winds turn northwest, it will blow all the water out of the Bohemia River.

Elk River is closer to Philadelphia. But the extra 15-30 minutes or so of driving to get further down the Bay will save hours of unnecessary motoring and open up many more cruising possibilities. I already mentioned Sassafras River, which is very picturesque and well protected. Next one down would be Worton Creek. We considered them all, and still decided to make the extra drive down to Rock Hall. Ultimately it's your choice. You should take a day and hit all of them in the car. Roam the docks, talk to sailboat owners, then make your own decision.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

crieders

I took a drive down there today
Gratitude was nice but pretty exposed
Green Point on Wharton Creek seemed nice and close to the Bay. Know anything about that location
Were also 2 nice marinas in Rock Hall Harbor
Had a good talk with a Catalina 387 owner at Gratitude
He made the sailing down the Jersey coast sound easy
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Bill Shreeves

I'm starting my second season @ Worton Creek Marina after moving down from the Barnegat Bay in Jersey. The Admiral and I absolutely love it!  We're still newbies as this is just the start of our third season with a non-trailerable boat.

I live in South Jersey just across the river from Philly and it takes us 1 hr 45 minutes, without traffic, to get there.  A big slow down is driving through Middletown, DE however, they're building a highway around that I believe is supposed to open the end of this year that some say will shave 10+ minutes off the trip.

Worton Creek has 3 marinas with a very easy approach through the cut.  Green Point Landing, Handy's Point Marina and Worton Creek Marina.  Of the three marinas, Worton Creek Marina offers a few amenities the other two don't like fuel, well stocked marine store, a very nice small restaurant with excellent food, a pool and a full service marina.  It's also 5+ minutes up the creek from Green Point Landing so, it offers more protection from inclement weather and Worton Creek is generally a very nice anchorage.  I don't think you can go wrong at any of the three marinas.  I will say, based on observation while going past Green Point Landing, you need to be careful which dock you select because the wind can bounce boats around a bit as its right at the cut.  We can put up our sails 15 minutes away from the dock but, we usually wait 20+ to get past the fish pots to the bay proper (still newbies).  Just outside the cut there's a great day anchorage on the North side of creek at the mouth of the bay with a small beach that is very popular.

-Bill
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

KWKloeber

I'll add that the folks at Green Point are very nice, had a well-run, professional operation (at least 10 yrs ago anyway.). Had 2-3 interactions with them when delivering a C-42 Pullman I had brokered from Green Pt to Great Neck LI.  And the seller had been very pleased having been there for many years.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Bill Shreeves

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 11, 2018, 06:49:24 PM
I'll add that the folks at Green Point are very nice, had a well-run, professional operation (at least 10 yrs ago anyway.). Had 2-3 interactions with them when delivering a C-42 Pullman I had brokered from Green Pt to Great Neck LI.  And the seller had been very pleased having been there for many years.

-k

I'll second that.  Very nice owners / family.  I seriously considered going there.  Especially knowing my brother-in-law stayed there with their sailboat with the same owners for many years and loved it.   We were enticed away by a few more amenities.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

glennd3

Cliff what did you decide to do?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River