Caring for the interior teak

Previous topic - Next topic

anon

Hello. Can anybody recommend a brand name for the oil to apply to unfinished teak in the cabins please?
Thank you
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

KWKloeber

Alby

The mk-1 C30 reportedly was finished with Watco danish (-sp?) teak oil, I can get the color tonite C34 maybe the same?

You making headway on any of your to-dos?

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Alby

What does Catalina use to "finish" the interior teak?
The varnish is Target Coatings-Oxford, semi gloss. If your boat is oiled it is Watco teak oil.
~ Gerry Douglas

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

Oiled or varnished, unless you are stripping to bare wood, you will probably need to experiment with some wood stain(s) first, to match/blend into the "reddish-toned" look of years-old interior teak.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

WTunnessen

I've been refinishing the oiled teak in my '88 by sanding down with 120 and 220 grit sand paper, then rubbing it with Star Brit teak oil followed by several coats of Minwax high gloss polycrylic.  So far I have been very pleased with the results.  Sanding the teak helps to lighten it up by removing the old carbonized teak oil which on my boat tends to get dull after a couple of years as well as darkens. HavingI already sanded and rubbed the teak before, I've decided to try something different.

Since I did re-rub the wood w/ teak oil, I am curious to see how it ages under the polycrylic.   Polycrylic is a water-based coating and drys clear unlike some polyurethanes that have a yellow tint.   What I like about the polycrylic is that it drys super fast which means you can put a couple coats on over the course of a few hours.  I usually put on 2 or 3 coats over 4 hours, then wait 24+ hours and then sand with 320 grit. Then put on 2 or 3 more coats with rubbing with a fine grit white 3M scotchguard pad between coats. The result is a good gloss and so far seems very durable.  Stuff is forgiving with sags and air bubbles but does dry fast when the humidity is low so you have to work fast.  But that means I can get the project done faster.  The down side is that it is thinner than oil varnish or polyurethanes, so you have to use more coats.
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

I used Starbright Golden. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Staying with the tone of this thread and avoiding staining the conversation with off color puns, submitted for your consideration are the photos of the (then) work-in-progress vee storage project.  I'm not trying to shade the discussion, with overtones or undertones of what to use,but I'm a dyed-in-the-wool believer in Helmsnan. Here's what I did:

OEM teak was for years Liquid Gold'd [Admiral (Ret)].
I cleaned up and applied 2 light coats of Helmsman semi.
The new teak got 3 light coats of the same, steel wool or 3M pad in between.

I too thought they'd never match to my satisfaction but I was surprised.
At left is the Helmsman'd 1984 teak trim and veneer ply at the vee, and at right the circa 2000 new cabinetry (receiving its 3rd coat in 2007.)

There's some glare/reflection in the side-side (last pic,) but I hope that this unvarnished contribution helps.

-k

Noah

TIP: NEVER use steel wool on a boat unless (maybe) if you are in fresh water? You will be chasing rusty bits/specs "everywhere" for the REST OF YOUR LIFE!" :cry4` 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Although on a fresh water lake, Does it count if you're doing that OFF OF the vessel?

:shock: 8) :donno: :roll: :think :rolling

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 24, 2018, 08:16:04 PM
Although on a fresh water lake, Does it count if you're doing that OFF OF the vessel?

Could be.  There's this thing called "WIND."

Water corrodes.  Salt water (just) corrodes absolutely (and quicker).

Take your pick.  :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

A VERY "could."

From backyard to the boat is only an hr drive. I guess the NASCAR drafting effect could carry it back to the marina!    Will hafta look for steel stragglers when transporting teak peices!  Maybe a sacrificial magnet on the van lift gate!!

-k

WTunnessen

Here's a picture that shows differences between old teak oil on original wood,  refinished with teak oil + polycrylic, and new teak finished with teak oil and polycrylic.  I'm not sure what brand of teak oil the PO used, but the picture shows how it ages. Perhaps this will help with original question about coloration.  Sanding helps. Random orbital sander attached to a shop vac makes a huge difference with dust control.  Of course you can't use it everywhere.
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD