Bow Water Tank

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

I read in a very old post that some Mk 1 models had a 'Bow Water Tank'

Any details of which hull numbers of the Mk 1 did and did not have that tank.

I'm curious, and as we use the boat for more than just a weekend jaunt quite often, a third tank might be worth the effort.

Where was the thank installed?

Thanks.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

scgunner

Paul,

I believe the early Mk1s (1986) had a bow tank instead of the 40gal rear tank that came in later boats like mine. I added a 30gal water tank under the V-berth when I installed a tankless water heater as the women on the boat could blow through the water in record time(women love hot showers).
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

sailaway

I have Hull 95 1986 and have a water tank under the V-berth.  Also one in the main cabin. I get a little rain water on my starboard seat in the cockpit . I heard they moved the water tank aft to correct the problem. Charlie

DaveBMusik

Mine is #206, 1986 with aft tank, no bow tank
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

sailaway

Dave do you get a small amount of rain water to collect on the starboard set in the cockpit. Charlie

scgunner

Sailaway,

Even when my aft tank is full and the V-berth tank is empty I still get a small amount of water collecting on the starboard seat. If the rear tank is empty water will collect in the cockpit sole ahead of the rear cockpit drains.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

lucky

I have 1986 catalina hull#13 with bow tank and blader tank at stern also tank on starboard.
Lucky
1986 c34 #13
Al Landry

DaveBMusik

Quote from: sailaway on April 22, 2018, 04:46:52 AM
Dave do you get a small amount of rain water to collect on the starboard set in the cockpit. Charlie

I have not noticed that as being a problem
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

derekb

I have hull #29, and it has a bow tank under the V-berth. Also collects water on the starboard cockpit seat...

Regards,
Derek
Derek Buckmaster
Esprit, 1986 C34 Mark I #29. Fin keel, Universal M25.
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

lucky

derekb
my 1986 also collects water on starboard seat.what did you to correct it?stern bladder filled with water did not help.
Lucky hull#13
c 34

scgunner

I wouldn't call the water collecting on the starboard seat a problem. If you find it bothersome you might try this; if you have a bow tank empty it, if you have a rear tank fill it, empty the starboard water tank, and finally fill the holding tank with water. Or you can do what I do just keep a rag handy and mop it up when you go aboard.

Ekutney

1986 C34 here hull # 42

Bow water tank under V berth, starboard under setee & it had a 200 liter bladder under the aft berth I plan to reinstall.  I also always seem to have water on the starboard cockpit set when it rains.  I just use a squeegee to clean it off.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Noah

So much for the Catalina 34's  legendary "port list"??  :shock:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

britinusa

Well, we do not have the bow tank, just a center tank (stbd side) and aft tank.

And we get rain (or sea) water sitting at the forward end of the stbd cockpit seat. We clean out the mess each time we visit the boat if after a rain event.

Adding a bow tank would exacerbate that issue. So I'm just going to keep the crew on water rationing.  :santa
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

scgunner

Paul,

I installed a 30gal bladder in the bow and when full(most of the time)I noticed no difference in the amount of water collecting on the starboard seat. If you find it to be a problem you can always leave it empty and fill it only when you need the extra water.